Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Honky Dory as a Double Ender

Posted by Sandy 
Honky Dory as a Double Ender
October 14, 2015 01:12PM
Someone asked about the HD as a double ender.

I never did it. Wish I had. It should be easy enough. I'll just type this on the fly. I'll do my best to make sense.

A double ender is the same boat a bit longer, with a wedge shaped 3D triangle tacked on to the transom--onto the upstream end. Every dory starts with side panels. The HD uses two 4x8 sheets scarfed together, so its side panels are about 2" inches short of 16' feet. Make a 4x18' foot panel instead. That's probably a bit longer than you need. But what the hell. You'll need to buy one extra sheet (of plywood or Plascore).

Make the 4x18' foot panel. Square a line from side to side at the 16' foot mark. Use that 16' foot line to layout a diagonal front to back cut that divides the sheet into two long halves, which are the left and right sides of the boat. The given dimensions define that cut at the 16' foot mark. So measure there but extend that diagonal center cut line all the way back to the end of the 18' foot panel you made.

Layout from the downstream end back toward where the transom would be if it wasn't a double ender. Now mark the place where the transom would go IF you built a standard HD. But don't cut there. Assemble the boat as best you can, with a transom made from scrap chip board. Temporarily mount that chip board transom with 4 drywall screws, at the 16' foot position. Let the rear ends run wild, backward to the rear of the temporary chip board transom.

Carefully chew little bits of plywood off the rear end, one small skill saw sliver at a time, until the rear ends of the side panels meet nicely as a slanted, pointed upstream end. Take it from there. The rest will be much the same as building the standard HD.

================

Re: Honky Dory as a Double Ender
October 14, 2015 01:57PM
I drifted a short piece of the Clakamus, near Portland once. With Ray Heater, in a small double ender of his. Was basically one of Ray's standard 15'x54" inch banana boats (that's Ray's term) with a bit more added to the upstream end. Which Ray refers to as the bow. Which is why I always steer away from referring to front and rear ends, and always say "upstream end" and "downstream end." If you say bow and stern nobody knows what you're talking about. Or they think they do but make the opposite assumption.

Was a cool boat. Ray does exceptional work. Ray's retired now but I'm sure he still fiddles in his great big shop. And fishes. And tells jokes. Ray's one of the great people in this world. Ray's partner Cyrus Happy is an under-known and under-appreciated boat designer in his own right. Most of the big 17 and 18 foot boats they have at Ray's River Dories are Cyrus' inventions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login