Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One guy boat...

Posted by Riverman 
One guy boat...
November 29, 2015 10:16PM
I need a one-man boat for a class-1 river. It's about a 5-mile float with plenty of smallies.

I'm thinking about a one-seat boat, no more than 12' with oarlocks and wide enough to be really stable for an old guy.

Anyone have any ideas for a lightweight one-guy boat?

Thanks for your help.
Re: One guy boat...
November 29, 2015 10:33PM
Forgot to say, I have a set of Don Hill drift boat plans for a 14' boat. I really don't need a rig that size for just one guy on a very mild river.

Any way to reduce it down to a 12' boat?

Thanks
November 30, 2015 12:00AM
You can reduce the DH plans if you want. Roger Fletcher's book on drift boats and dorys has Woody Hindman's original double ender that works out to about 13'. You'd need a trailer. A pram could be a good call as well. OR... The ultimate (plans available here):

November 30, 2015 12:00AM
You could start with this idea. Make the sides a bit higher and then don't deck it. This was meant to be a one man white water boat.

It is a hell of a good fishing boat too though. I've had it going on 4 years now. Best thing I ever made in many ways. The only drawback is not being able to row and fish at the same time. So it is dependent on stopping a lot.

The "plans" for this boat are not finished. All the dimensions are there but I haven't finished writing the step-by-steps yet.

http://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Driftboats/OneMan

The Don Hill skiff was his creative way of using the left over strip of 1/4" plywood after cutting a "high side" side panel out of a 4x16' sheet.

So. You could also use the plans you have and just make it shorter. Chop 1-1/2' feet off both ends to end up at 11' long. Make the two transom ends a bit bigger. You'd have to wing that part. But it wouldn't be hard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login