Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random Orbital Sander?

Posted by Sandy 
Random Orbital Sander?
January 17, 2001 05:59PM
I am tired of borrowing my Father-in-Law's sander every time I need one and am going to buy my own. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on which one to get? I don't want to spend too much, but want something that is going to be very durable. I like the idea of a 1/4 sheet sander so I don't have to buy expensive disks, but have little experience with them so don't know that they are very good. I have used a Ryobi that has been okay, but nothing that I have been terribly attached to. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Danny
Re: Random Orbital Sander?
January 18, 2001 02:26AM
I asked Sandy the same question. His response is listed below in the thread somewhere..basically saying he likes the Milwaukee. I've been looking for a Porter Cable 7336 which is a 6" random orbital (electric). Try http://store.yahoo.com/sevencorners/porcab736var.html for a quick look. I've seen them online as low as $114 delivered. Also try www.mysimon.com which will runa comparison shop for you. Good luck!

Regards,
Brian H.
Erie, PA

In reply to "Random Orbital Sander?", posted by Danny on Jan 17, 2001:
>I am tired of borrowing my Father-in-Law's sander every time I need one and am going to buy my own. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on which one to get? I don't want to spend too much, but want something that is going to be very durable. I like the idea of a 1/4 sheet sander so I don't have to buy expensive disks, but have little experience with them so don't know that they are very good. I have used a Ryobi that has been okay, but nothing that I have been terribly attached to. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
>Danny

Re: Re: Random Orbital Sander?
January 18, 2001 01:14PM
In reply to "Re: Random Orbital Sander?", posted by BRIAN on Jan 17, 2001:
> I asked Sandy the same question. His response is listed
> below in the thread somewhere..basically saying he likes
> the Milwaukee.

I do like Milwaukee tools, in general. But I'm not sure
they make a random orbit sander. Do they?
If you could afford all the tools you want:

1) For hogging off drips, bumps and bad work:
A right angle polisher is hard to beat. A polisher
is like a high speed right angle grinder, but it runs
at low rpms. High speed grinders create too much heat.
Lower rmp speed is better.

2) A fifteen dollar horse shoer's rasp, also for rough
shaping of fiberglass

3) A random orbit sander for finishing. Air sanders
can be used with a low trickle from a water hose,
which is really slick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login