Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Casting Braces

Posted by jcissell 
Casting Braces
March 02, 2016 09:59PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a stitch and glue drift boat from a guy last week and there are a few things I want to do if possible. Can you tell me if I can add casting braces to this boat? I've searched but I haven't found anything online yet. I really haven't found many stitch and glue boats like this one.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Casting Braces
March 03, 2016 01:09AM

Sure. You could make one of these.
March 03, 2016 01:10AM
I found a post but the subject was freestone skiff knee locks so the search function didn't find it when I searched for casting braces. I'll leave this link here in case someone is looking for something like this in the future.

Casting Braces/Knee Locks
March 08, 2016 04:04PM
Welcome jcissell!

That's the knee lock on my boat. After two full seasons of "testing" I can say it works exactly how I had hoped. I have added a second one for the rear as well, I'll try to find pics, but it is very similar to the front.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help out.
November 05, 2016 05:29PM
I am likely a day late and dollar short with my post. Anyway, I have built a couple of freestone skiffs and despite the fact Jason Cajune, the designer/builder, does not recommend casting braces for this boat, I installed braces in both of boats. Probably not the most elegant design but they work well. My clients love the option of standing. Both braces can be removed easily which is a plus.

November 06, 2016 01:47AM
Nice work!

Rick N
November 06, 2016 12:07PM
thanks. I am getting a little better with each project. The Freestone Classic isn't likely a boat i'll use for guiding but it will keep me occupied all winter long and perhaps i'll learn a little something along the way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login