Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new to boat building

Posted by granny grann 
new to boat building
June 14, 2016 07:35PM
Hello all my name is Grann, I am new to the world of boat building. I have been rowing a wooden boat for the past 6 years I love the boat to death, I believe my boat was built around 1985 is a beautiful classic 14ft double ended wich is great for going through rock gardens and tight spots with one passenger up front. but I want a bigger boat to passable guide out of with two fly fishermen and the gear needed for multi-day trips. I mostly float in the PNW the Yakima, Hoh, Bogachiel not a lot of whitewater but lots of rock gardens.

I don't like the idea of owning an aluminum or Tupperware boat, however, I do like the way the new Clackacraft Eddy boats row. how hard would it be to build a wood boat that rows as easy as an Eddy? what plans are out there?

I like the look of the stitch and glue boat, I don't need anything too fancy,I think a 16 or 17-foot boat should do the job.
The Honky dory should work for what I need, I'm also looking at the cajune boat plans. as a first-time boat builder, what do I need to know about each of the plans? are there any good books I should read before I start this project? any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you for your time.

Re: new to boat building
June 15, 2016 12:08PM
You could design and build your own boat. Read the sticky posts at the top of this forum, all of which gradually boil down to the following: build a few scale models. Then build a full size model with adjustable ribs. Play with the full size model until the boat shape in front of you matches the image in your mind's eye. Turn it into a boat.

I built my first drift boat from plans in 1979. Every boat there after has been my own. The plans I started out with were awful. Sandy's Lead Sled they called it. Then I made my own.

The Clackacraft Eddy looks like a molded version of the Peter Mac Pram . I have lost touch with Peter and no longer have an email for him. I never had dimensions for this boat but building one would not be difficult. It looks like a 14' foot pram to me, made with 14' foot side panels. Square ended. Perhaps 56" inches wide on the bottom. Wide and stable. The ClackaCraft Eddy is bigger, with 16' foot side panels, but still a similar boat.

It is interesting to note all molded glass boats start out as a plywood plug. Once the fiberglass builder gets a plywood boat shape sculpture looking right they smooth it up and take a female form off the plug. And then gradually turn that into stout and very expensive female mold for molding glass boats. That is a long process. From the first female mold they usually make a male glass plug and then another female, smoothing and fairing meticulously at each step. A finished mold sometimes represents a half a dozen male to female molding swaps. With stitch and glue you only do it once.

Make some side panels. Make layout marks on the side panels at regular 24" intervals, squared upward from the chine. Make some adjustable ribs. Attach sides to temporary ribs. Make some transom ends with particle board. Change everything until it looks right. If your boat (your adjustable ribs) have a lot of side flare the boat will have a lot of rocker. You can reduce that rocker by dishing out the chine a bit. There are chine-dishing instructions here on this website. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login