Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wide Briggs build

Posted by Duct Tape 
Wide Briggs build
August 18, 2016 06:45PM
Hi all,

I'm just about done with my wide Briggs build, and wanted to share some pics You can read my entire blog if interested at www.westtavaputs.com

One thing I'm concerned about is, since I chose the 54" across the bottom for stability and possibly decreased draft, will this make it tougher to turn it over once flipped. B/c eventually in the Grand or elsewhere, it will flip. I plan to have a party for the dory with all my dory friends and helpers on a local lake later this summer or fall but not sure I can bring myself to do an experimental roll. Not even sure if I can flip it over from upright to begin with.

Re: Wide Briggs build
August 18, 2016 06:47PM
Looks like the pics I attached didn't make it. Or at least I'm not seeing them. Will try later.
September 20, 2016 09:55PM
Beauty.

Jeremy Christensen
September 23, 2016 08:05PM
I'm not sure what is wrong with the image upload stuff. I figured out how to make your very fine images show.

Two questions:

1) A wide Briggs is what? 54" inches wide? That should be a substantially better boat than the 48" incher. There are a lot of very fine 54" inch boats out there, and the 48" incher is side to side tippy. Very cool boat.

2) Huerfano means orphan in Spanish. Does your boat name have anything to do with Colorado's Huerfano Valley?
September 26, 2016 11:57AM
Thanks for the upload Sandy. And thanks for the comment Jeremy, appreciate your help on the past.

Huerfano is the volcanic core remnant b/w Pueblo and Walsenburg on I25 in Colorado. We chose "The Little Orphan" for family connections, kind of an inside joke.

Having our boat launch party this Saturday.

Jon
September 26, 2016 12:09PM
I asked about the Huerfano because I know the Huerfano well. I used to live there. South and West of Red Wing, on the foot of Mt Blanca. At the TripleA. Way back when. Was just down there last month. Got to bear hug Harold Vargas--the mayor Gardner. Hadn't seen him in 40 years.

I bought a horse from Harold once. It's a long story. The following pic is.....well. Me. In the Huerfano. Circa 1970

There is a top knotch wood working shop in Malachite. I saw pictures of some guys building a huge bar top there last month. And Jim McCain does nifty wood sculptures up near Libre. My old nail pounding partner Douglas Blytheman is still there making sawdust. Dougie is 70 something now. Did you build that very cool boat there in the Valley?

October 04, 2016 03:47PM
This past Saturday we held our boat launching party followed by some burgers and beers at the MBS (Marland Boat Shop). Pics and stories are here.

http://www.westtavaputs.com/2016/10/ok-pookie-do-honors.html

Sorry, I've tried to post pics here but must be beyond my feeble capabilities. Anyway, here's hoping for some good river permits next year!
October 04, 2016 09:20PM
Sorry about the images. I finally got it fixed.
October 05, 2016 01:45AM
I'm sure it was me Sandy. My kids probably are too.
October 07, 2016 01:56AM
Beautiful boat you have their and after reading your blog on the build I've come to know a bit about you and a lot more about the ins and outs of doing a plascore boat .
Sal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login