Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trailer recommendations/considerations for a Honky Dory

Posted by seanb 
Trailer recommendations/considerations for a Honky Dory
September 15, 2016 04:06PM
I'm about to finish the outside hull of a honky dory and then flip it over to build out the gunwales, interior, etc.

Two questions:

1. Any recommendations against me finishing the boat while it's in a trailer rather than a cradle? I'm building the boat outside at the moment and will soon need to move it to a rented garage. Would it be that impractical to finish it while it's on a trailer?

2. Any recommendations/considerations for a trailer that I should know about? I'm hoping to pick up a used one. Any "I wish I would have thought of that" tips from when you bought your first trailer?

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Re: Trailer recommendations/considerations for a Honky Dory
September 15, 2016 04:09PM
Aha. Please disregard the second part of the question, as I found:

http://www.montana-riverboats.com/phorum/read.php?3,19017

I am still curious about finishing the boat while it's on a trailer...

-s
September 15, 2016 11:51PM
Two things come to mind with that question, the only problem I have working on my boat while on the trailer is getting in and out of it.. read ...old knees :-) yet having it up off the ground sure is a lot easier on my back !
Sal
September 17, 2016 01:19PM
I have a cart made from 1-1/8" commercial subflooring plywood, with 4 casters at the corners. Been using it for years. If you wanted to be able to move the cart over a bumpy lawn or driveway you would only have to increase the diameter of the caster wheels a bit. I think.

If you needed to move it a few miles away you could winch a dolly--like the above--up onto a boat trailer using two planks. Building it on the trailer? You could do that too, if you built a raised wooden platform around the trailer............so it wouldn't be too high to reach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login