Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intro

Posted by Trailerman 
Intro
November 05, 2016 01:20AM
Just a quick intro. Been building utility trailers for the last 25 or so years. Been avid fisherman for salmon and steelhead here in Michigan as well.

On occasion I would be contacted to build boat trailers for drift boats. I find these boats pleasing to my eye, both in the water and on the trailer.

I wanted something to build that was different than trailer. This boat build should be welcome challenge and I still get to use told that I have skill with.

Im a metal fabricator first and a carpenter second. I do both well.

I could find no plans for the boat I want out of aluminum. The plans for these wooden boats look to lend themselves to metal.

We are going to find out.

I do find the wooden boats to be things of beauty, but know I am not responsible enough to care for a wood boat. The answer is to make it out of aluminum.

My first step is order my aluminum sheeting. The alloy is scheduled to be delivered next Friday.

I hope to add many files over the next few months.

Thanks for having me. I hope I won't be offending anyone building a metal boat.
Kirk
Re: Intro
November 05, 2016 01:28AM
If I could wind the clock back 30 years i'd get some aluminum skills. I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Ray Heater told me the same thing once too. Ray said he still loves wooden boats. But said he wished he built a few aluminum ones too......but now it was too late.

Ray retired and moved to Bend. I need to go look him up.

November 21, 2016 03:13AM

Started my HD today. Need to seam the side aluminum. Just need too find some time.

November 21, 2016 03:14AM
Not sure how to post pics from my android phone to the site.
November 21, 2016 04:45AM
Hey you can send me any images as an email attachment and then I'll put them on the server where we can see them. Boat building photos are good.
November 21, 2016 04:47AM
An aluminum Honky Dory. This very cool. Very very cool
November 22, 2016 03:45AM
Excited to see how this turns out. If you have time as you post let us know about the processes that are unique to building with aluminum.
November 22, 2016 10:24PM
Hey! there's the pic. Couldn't see that it was posted via my phone. Cool.

I'll try to update as I make progress. I don't want to get to involved in case its a complete fail. I doubt it, but life does have a way of getting ones way.
November 24, 2016 10:48PM
Got a bit of a start on the HD.

Hoping to get the bottom pieces welded up in the next few days.

One thing about aluminum w riding, you can really make progress. Basically you are only held up by your own stamina.

Sandy, if you don't mind, I'll just email you pictures and you can post them to this thread. It's just too much of a pain to use the phone for the pictures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login