Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kirk's Aluminum Honky Dory

Posted by Sandy 
Re: Kirk's Aluminum Honky Dory
February 07, 2017 09:06AM

Bow trim installed and the remainder of the chine trim welded on. Just need to do some surface ginding to pretty it it up.
February 07, 2017 09:11AM

Welded up a second layer for the plug area. Notice the small. 1" on the back side that is not welded? I decided to leave that as a drain between the layers. I've found no matter how good your weld is, if you weld it solid, some how water gets in between the layers. Freezing temps will expand that water and cause the metal to bulge.

I need to decide i I need 1 or 2 plugs. I've seen some drift boats with plugs side by side. I don't know the reason.
February 07, 2017 09:15AM

I wanted thicker material for the winch pull, but didn't have any 1/2" aluminum sheeting. I welded 2 pieces of 1/8" sheets together to get my required thickness.

I only installed the POS carabiner for illustration purposes. I'll grab a nice 1/4" clevis the next time I hit the hardware store.
February 07, 2017 09:21AM

Got the transom fabbed up. Ran into an issue. For some reason the sheeting in the back obtained a bow. This gave me an almost 1/2" gap between the vertacle support and the sheeting. I can bridge that with welding material, but preferred not to.

I solved the issue by running a self tapping bolt thru the hull and support. It sucked in that gap quite nicely. I was going to just fill the hole by welding the hole closed, but got to thinking that a nice, stainless eye bolt would work in that spot perfectly. Having a place to tie a rope in the back would come in handy.
February 07, 2017 09:22AM

Making a pattern for the bow/chine junction.
February 07, 2017 09:24AM

Fabbing up the bow junction piece.
February 07, 2017 09:27AM

Bow/chine junction. The trim piece will cover up the area. It is hard to get the grinder into this area so I opted to just cover the welds. In addition, I didn't want to remove to much material as this is an area that needs to be as strong as possible. I expect to run into things.
February 07, 2017 09:33AM

Bow/gunwale junction trim installed. I should have made it just a touch bigger. The trim piece does not quite cover the points where the inner gunwale is welded to the hull. Also I found it odd that my triangle was not a perfect triangle. I guess that's why they call it "custom" boat building?

Edit:

I just realized I have been referring the gunwale as the chine in previous posts. It's 0430, been up all night, so allow me some lattitude:)
February 07, 2017 09:39AM

Got the shelf/rod storage/ rower seat supports installed. What a pain! Getting these shelves perfectly parallel and exactly the same height was a bitch. I must have walked around the boat 30 times getting my measurements to work out.

I also fuqued up. Notice the 3 holes? Those where to be 3 rod holders. My intention was to cut notches in the holes to aid in inserting the rods. How do I cut notches in the outermost hole?

I'll just tell everyone I cut the extra hole in those pieces for weight reduction:)
February 07, 2017 09:43AM

Last pic of the night. This is how it sits presently (except it sitting in the dark). I hope to have some time tonight or tomorrow night to work on the rowers bench.

What is a good height to make the bench not including the seat height? I'm 5' 10". Do taller rowers want higher seats or is that adjustment made with the seat itself?

Thanks

Kirk
February 07, 2017 09:34PM
I dnt have oars yet, I'll try to fake it by using a couple 2 x 4s for examples.
February 08, 2017 03:07PM
How wide are the standard rope seat bars? Ill most likely fab those up tonight if I can get an answer.

Thanks in advance.
Kirk
February 10, 2017 04:27AM

Fabbing up the walk thru rowers seat.
February 10, 2017 04:29AM

Finished up the rowers seat. It had no trouble supporting my 225 lbs.

Close up of one of my welds.
February 10, 2017 04:31AM

Building the semi-dry storage shelf and another pic of the walk thru rowers bench.
February 10, 2017 04:33AM

Needed to do a deep clean on the shop. Pulled the truck out and put the boat up on the hoist. Got that cleaning done and decided to reward myself with a small drink. Promptly lost the bottle cap. My small drink became a big drink.
February 10, 2017 04:36AM

I just wanted to show how nice a plasma cutter works on this material. The cut, using a straight edge gives you a cut that is only slightly more rougher than a sheet metal shear. In following pics you will be able to see the cut edges better.
February 10, 2017 04:39AM

On to one of the most important steps of a boat build. Drink holders!

You can see the roughness of the plasma cutter cut. Not bad at all.

This is as far as I got last night. Stay tuned for updates.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this project. I actually thought I would not be this far. I was thinking it was going to take me a year or longer.

I know I'm going to build another of these.

February 10, 2017 04:42AM
I need to hear from the masses what features I need to Incorporated into this boat. Much easier to do if the boat is still in the shop and unpainted.

I'm listening.
February 10, 2017 02:54PM
Rod holders are important. I have broken so many rods. A tube socket holder for a stow-away gas grill would be nice. Warm up that coffee and roast some hot dogs in deer season. Or maybe some end-of-the day deer liver and onions? You'd have to remember to bring the onions.....

February 11, 2017 12:31AM
I'll have to look into this grill thing. People actually grill on the water in a drift boat?
June 20, 2017 10:00AM
decided to quickly throw together a trailer. I need to be able to move the thing around the shop easier.
June 20, 2017 10:01AM

June 20, 2017 10:02AM
Threw together some oars. These are only the prototypes. I want to see how they work on the water, then I'll fab up some that look much better.
June 20, 2017 10:04AM
potential seat base. Not sure yet.
June 21, 2017 01:26AM
I guess my pics were too big.
June 25, 2017 11:39AM
I think these guys are in Moab Utah. 20 grand per dedked whiat water boat.

Their big boat has an 18' foot gunwale (17' foot 9" inches end to end length) and a 54" inch bottom. That's the traditional McKenzie scaled up proportionately.

http://www.eddylinewelding.com/whitewater-aluminum-dories/

June 25, 2017 07:04PM
Wow! Looks very similar to mine.

That's a lot of money!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login