Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building the boat.

Posted by paddlefish 
Building the boat.
December 31, 2016 10:35PM
Where to start . Beaver tail of materials. Help / Advice?
Re: Building the boat.
January 01, 2017 01:06PM
http://montana-riverboats.com/index.php?page=Driftboats/Beavertail/beavertail-online-plans/part-one.htm

2 sheets 4'x8'x1/4" AA fir marine plywood or 5mm marine mahogany (please read the Plywood-README page!)
2 sheets 4'x8'x3/8" AA fir marine plywood for the bottom (or 1/2") Or two sheets of 3/4" inch plascore! <--- this is how I build now, with Plascore
I use 3/8...but your choice has a lot to do with the water you float: fast shallow water
with lots of rocks? Then choose 1/2"

4 1"x2"x16' fir oak or ash for gunwales (or shorter lengths scarfed together)
8 1"x6"x16' #2 pine boards for the strongback
2 sheets 3/8" CDX plywood for strongback corner gussets
1 lbs 5/8" drywall screws 1 lbs 1-1/4" drywall screws
50' 1"x4" mahogany, oak, fir, or ash for seat frames and other interior parts

WEST SYSTEM stuff -- or call Raka and talk to them, Raka has good resin too
Technical Manual (useful information)
5 gallons #105 resin
1 gallon #205 hardener
1 pair mini pumps
1 gallon #850 WEST SYSTEM solvent
1 bag #403 microfibers
1 bag #406 colodial silica
1 bag #407 micro balloons
1 bag #423 graphite powder
1 roll 6" fiberglass tape
120 linear feet of 50" 6-10 ounce fabric, if you want to use fabric type for everything.

Else you might want to use 3.5oz or 4oz fabric on the sides, and 6-10oz everywhere else.

Re: Building the boat.
January 01, 2017 01:15PM
In the material lists above I mention 50" inch wide fabric. I need to change those lists and that wording.

The best way to buy fabric is to call Raka http://raka.com and talk to them. Tell them you are making a hand made wood/fiberglass drift boat. Buy what ever fabric is on sale. A few years ago I bought a whole roll of 3.5oz fabric 38" inches wide. I do the outside surfaces of bottom panels with two overlapping layers of fabric, where the overlaps almost half the width of the 38" inch widths, one layer at a 45 degree slant to the long axis of the boat and the second layer at a 45 degree slant the other way.

38" inches is wide enough to make one edge to edge layer every where except the bottom panel, which you do with 45 degree slants, inside and out.

If 10oz fabric is on sale buy that. Use it the same way. You'll get a slightly heavier but stronger boat.

I used to build boats with 1/2" plywood bottoms. Not any more. I use 3/4" inch Plascore. They have an 800 number. Call sales and order two sheets. Talk to the saleman. Buy what he recommends. Use it like plywood. The instructions include a Plascore discussion. 3/4" inch Plascore is about $40 bucks a sheet. You might have to spend almost that much, per sheet, to have it shipped.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login