Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fiberglass inside and outside. What's it's job?

Fiberglass inside and outside. What's it's job?
April 28, 2017 03:37PM
Curious about the stress fiberglass takes inside and outside of the boat. I've read many threads about having more fiberglass outside, but is this mostly to protect against impact or is this where the most stress is put on the boat when rowing? What is the job of the fiberglass inside and outside of a fishing boat, not a white water boat?

Ive got three layers of 17 oz biaxial on the outside of the boat, some overlaps with 4 layers, chine and corners with 6, all 17 oz biaxial. Curious about what to do with the inside. I was recommended 2 layers inside. Is 3 better? Is 1 better and add another layer to the outside? Dimensions of the boat are 12.5' long, 70" at the oar locks, 48" wide at the bottom, 1/2" plascore throughout, east water in MI, class 2 at most.

Thanks, this has been a ton of fun, thinking about this boat constantly
Re: Fiberglass inside and outside. What's it's job?
April 28, 2017 06:26PM
To some extent it depends on where and how you plan to use it. Dolores River Canyon in May? Hell's Half Mile on the Green?

Or the Pere Marquette in Michigan?

What you have already is more than enough for most. Glass on the outside is for abrasion resistance. Glass on the inside it to prevent catastrophic puncture (like re-rod sticking up from an old irrigation gate....there is one of those on the Yellowstone. Used to be anyway).

You be good now I think.

Damn. This forum is redirecting to the wrong place after a post. One more thing to fix.

April 28, 2017 06:58PM
Peter Marquette! Ausable, Manistee, etc.

Sandy, you lived in Michigan for a time, you get back and fish at all? Ok I'm going with 2 layers inside.

This things getting close!
April 28, 2017 08:03PM
I spent the summer in Ann Arbor when I was three or four. But only once. Can't remember much except I jumped on the back of a horse drawn milk wagon and got lost. That was almost 100 years ago.

April 28, 2017 09:02PM
Ha! Ann Arbor! Nice. Fun town. The Huron River flows through it. It's like the Missouri River below Holter damn, but for Small mouth (and carp if you're‚Äč good).
April 29, 2017 02:34AM
I found religion last two years or so. I'm born again Smallmouth Bass. Hallelujah. Good to eat too and the few rivers that have them in Montana aren't crowded. Some of the lakes are but not so much the moving water.
May 15, 2017 06:21PM
or steelie fishing in the Muskegon...followed by dinner and beer at Barskis in Baldwin...order the Barski Burger !!

May 16, 2017 10:42PM
Holy shit! Did you get a length on that beast?! I've fished the big ski a few time, great river.
May 17, 2017 10:10PM
Yikes, when I land one of those, I'm going to call it good and quit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login