Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boat flex, what to expect?

Boat flex, what to expect?
May 31, 2017 03:59PM
How much flex should I expect if the boat is done well? Alittle when sliding over rocks or should there be no flex?

I get you don't want any when rowing, but what is a reasonable amount?

Thank you.
Re: Boat flex, what to expect?
May 31, 2017 06:28PM
Good question. The ideal boat is stiff enough not to flex at all in normal use, yet flexible enough to give a little when you smack a rock.

In Utah last month in brown water it was hard to see all the rocks. I hit one so hard it almost knocked me out of the boat. It won't be hard to fix. Paint mostly. Some flex is essential.

With that hit, if the boat had no flex at all something would have broken.

May 31, 2017 08:00PM
Too much flex is no good. Too many molded glass boats have oil canning floors and sides that flex outward when you pull hard on the oars.

That's using your manly (or womanly) strength to flex the boat instead of moving it.
June 01, 2017 06:19PM
Ok good, so in deep calm water the bottom shouldn't flex when standing to fish or walking in ghe boat, but alittle flex when sliding over a rock is ok? I've got front and rear hatches, fixed rowers bench, and a laminated​ gunnel, I don't think I'll have issues with flex when rowing, was mostly concerned about the floor
June 01, 2017 11:13PM
Yes that's about it. You can always add more glass. In fact you will. Over time. As it gets dinged.

I usually grind or carve out splits in the glass, wash it out with acetone, patch and then cover the whole shebang with one more layer.

I waited ten years on my last boat. Before doing that last Fall. Now I have one more layer on the bottom. Over patches.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login