Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oar lock sockets brass vs polymer ?

Oar lock sockets brass vs polymer ?
September 02, 2017 03:54PM
Picked up some flanged bearings and sleeves locally. South East Michigan has alot of machine shops that supply manufacturing so these were easy to find. Oil impregnated flanged bearings. Might be old news here, but was excited to find these. Perfect fit.

Ordered the exact same dimensions from a fancy German polymer company.

I'll see what feels best.

What do you guys do for the oar lock sockets?

Re: Oar lock sockets brass vs polymer ?
September 02, 2017 10:39PM
Those will be great. I take one inch PVC pipe, which has an inside diameter close to 9/16" and bore it out to 5/8". Rough up the outside. The outside diameter is 7/8" so I bore an 7/8" hole in what ever I'm putting it into and glue that into the block. They never seem to wear out but if they do it wouldn't be hard to replace.

Your oil impregnated bushing would be better yet.
September 03, 2017 02:54PM
I haven't tried it, but Brad Dimmock, a long time Colorado river guide places plastic sandwich bags in the oarlock socket. His claim is, no more squeaks. The need for this become obvious on multi-day desert river trips. Most lubricants draw sand which then increases the diameter of the socket or whatever is the softest.

Brass, oil impregnated bushings should be great, no need for sand collecting lube.

Rick N
September 12, 2017 07:07PM
Here's the German polymer version, seems very tough,even quieter and smaller OD in case I have to drill out more one day

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login