How to laminate plascore?
September 07, 2017 10:45PM
I've got 1/2" plascore. Want to laminate it to make a 1" thick rear deck/seating area. My plan is wet out plascore, squeegee a some thickened epoxy on both sheets and layer of 14oz biaxial in between plascore sheets. Then cover both sides with 3 layers of 14oz biaxial.

Sound ok? Should the glass be on both inner sides of plascore and thickened epoxy in the middle?
Re: How to laminate plascore?
September 09, 2017 03:36AM
3 layers 14oz? Perhaps more than needed. That's a boat bottom layup.

September 09, 2017 01:39PM
I'd skip the fabric between. Plascore has a matt layer heat melted into the end grain of the hexagonal honeycomb cells, in order to provide something to glue to. That's fixed tightly and it will glue to itself.

I'd wet out both "inside" surfaces, trowel in a thin layer of thickened resin and sandwich that together, over a Visqueen table.

All at the same time or on separate days laminate the top and bottom. One layer of 14oz biaxial top and bottom should be enough for a seat. Two at most but not three. That's just added weight costing money but not really accomplishing anything.

If you try to laminate top and bottom at the same time you will need tightly stretched Visqueen to work over. Duct tape one edge and pull it out tight as you can. Tape the other edges. You will get a beautifully mirror smooth surface.

But if you laminate over loose Visqueen you'll get wrinkle marks that have to be sanded out. And that's hard to do without damaging the layup.

September 12, 2017 07:00PM
Thanks, I'll glue and cover one day, and finish the next
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login