Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bottom coating

Bottom coating
September 25, 2017 07:42PM
I've read through the forum and found mention of coat it, line X, etc...

Has anyone tried wetlander? How about just spreading a thick layer of epoxy over the bottom? (That's what I did for now)

Not very worried about durability, I don't think anything is getting through my hull, more concerned about having it slick enough to slide over a rock or two.
Re: Bottom coating
October 02, 2017 08:26PM
I was hoping for a response to this question too.

I'm leaning towards the Wetlander system as well for my boat.
October 17, 2017 01:46PM
I looked very hard at Wetlander for bottom of the skiff I'm building from Cajune plans but decided to go with roll-on Raptor instead based on reviews of Raptor I'd read online and cost. It's my first boat build so I'm relying heavily on this site and other blogs. Wetlander is expensive stuff. The Raptor went on easily and I got two good coats from a "double" package for $48... primer coat+one topcoat of Wetlander would have been $160. Haven't had it in the water yet but the bottom is very tough and I'm anticipating it will hold up well. We'll see.

October 19, 2017 12:40PM
I've never done anything other than a final coat of clear epoxy over the layup. Well I have mixed in "Graphite Powder" a few times but gave that up because I couldn't see that it did anything for me.

You will damage the bottom eventually. Not having a rolled on or sprayed on rubber or plastic layer makes it easier to repair. LineX is tough and it keeps repair times down. But it's heavy and expensive. I've heard it doesn't slide over rocks well, somewhat like aluminum that way, although probably not as bad as aluminum in that respect.

Finally, I recently (last year) repaired a glass over Plascore bottom that was 10 years old. The chine was split through the glass outer layer for 3 feet on either side. I had ignored it for years. I ground off the crack a bit so it widened. Waited a few days to make sure everything was dry and re-glassed it. Worked like a champ.

Cracked glass over plywood ignored that long would have been a disaster, with soaking wet plywood reaching out for 16" inches to 24" inches from the crack, in all directions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login