Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Bottom coating

Bottom coating
September 25, 2017 07:42PM
I've read through the forum and found mention of coat it, line X, etc...

Has anyone tried wetlander? How about just spreading a thick layer of epoxy over the bottom? (That's what I did for now)

Not very worried about durability, I don't think anything is getting through my hull, more concerned about having it slick enough to slide over a rock or two.
Re: Bottom coating
October 02, 2017 08:26PM
I was hoping for a response to this question too.

I'm leaning towards the Wetlander system as well for my boat.
October 17, 2017 01:46PM
I looked very hard at Wetlander for bottom of the skiff I'm building from Cajune plans but decided to go with roll-on Raptor instead based on reviews of Raptor I'd read online and cost. It's my first boat build so I'm relying heavily on this site and other blogs. Wetlander is expensive stuff. The Raptor went on easily and I got two good coats from a "double" package for $48... primer coat+one topcoat of Wetlander would have been $160. Haven't had it in the water yet but the bottom is very tough and I'm anticipating it will hold up well. We'll see.

October 19, 2017 12:40PM
I've never done anything other than a final coat of clear epoxy over the layup. Well I have mixed in "Graphite Powder" a few times but gave that up because I couldn't see that it did anything for me.

You will damage the bottom eventually. Not having a rolled on or sprayed on rubber or plastic layer makes it easier to repair. LineX is tough and it keeps repair times down. But it's heavy and expensive. I've heard it doesn't slide over rocks well, somewhat like aluminum that way, although probably not as bad as aluminum in that respect.

Finally, I recently (last year) repaired a glass over Plascore bottom that was 10 years old. The chine was split through the glass outer layer for 3 feet on either side. I had ignored it for years. I ground off the crack a bit so it widened. Waited a few days to make sure everything was dry and re-glassed it. Worked like a champ.

Cracked glass over plywood ignored that long would have been a disaster, with soaking wet plywood reaching out for 16" inches to 24" inches from the crack, in all directions.

January 06, 2018 11:01PM
Hi just joined. i repairing the bottom of my wooden driftboat it has uhmw on the bottom , not sure if i want to put it back on . what would be best to use if i replays it? i live on the west coast . and round the willamette rouge rivers can anyone help. thank you
January 07, 2018 03:39PM
Is this a framed boat? I'm in Texas for the winter with only cell phone connection.

This is a subject worth more words than is easy on a phone. I don't like UMWH that is screwed on because the screw holes become moisture highways into the plywood.

...UMWH expands and contracts more than plywood. A lot more. That wiggles the scews. Wiggling is good for screwing in some contexts. But not for boat bottoms.

January 08, 2018 05:47AM
not sure what you mean by framed. this is my first wooden drift boat. had to replace screws once . so what is the best coating to you?
January 08, 2018 01:28PM
A framed boat is plywood nailed screwed or glued to wooden ribs. A stitch and glue boat boat is plywood sk1inned with fiberglass inside and out, with no ribs.

You can skin the bottom of a framed boat with a layer of glass. Many do it. It can cause wet plywood that never dries out.

For framed boats I think it's best to just have a bare plywood bottom fastened with screws and no glue, so the bottom can be replaced every ten years.
January 08, 2018 02:23PM
ok its got a screwed in bare floor with ribs . i dont know about glue then uhmw on bottom .uhmw pulled loose once fixed but thinking bout pulling off and just sealing some other way . suggestions?
January 08, 2018 06:12PM
I was talking about the theoretical best way to build a framed boat (no nails or glue, use caulk and screws, so it's easy to remove).

You want to fix up an old boat. Others may have a different idea. I'd ditch the UMWH. Use it as is unless it's really bad. Then I'd put new plywood on the bottom.
January 08, 2018 09:30PM
ok what type of sealant would you use seal bottom/
January 09, 2018 01:45PM
For an old boat like yours I'd just oil it. I don't build that way so an oil recipe is not on the tips of my keyboard fingers. It's probably here on the forum somewhere. I'll look later today when I'm not just cell phone.

...linseed oil and paint thinner for a first coat perhaps. Then 3 or 4 more coats of linseed oil only. Oil doesn't seal anything but it does slow down plywood's tenancy to soak up moisture, like a sponge.

Hard shell coatings like paint or varnish are worse. They crack almost right away and therefore still let in moisture. But the remaining paint makes it harder to dry it out.

Fiberglass on a framed boat can only go on the outside, which is not so good either. Moisture still soaks in from the top (from the inside of the boat) and the fiberglass helps to keep it there.

Oiled plywood is best for old framed boats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login