boat weights due to material selection
October 25, 2017 07:09PM
Hello.
I am ready to build, but I am questioning materials in regard to weight. Specifically honeycomb side panels vs plywood sides.
#1. Can a boat be too light?
#2 What are some of the pros and cons of heavier vs. lighter boats.
#3. Do honeycomb sides panels save that much weight since they require more layers of epoxy and glass?

Thank you,
Chance
Re: boat weights due to material selection
October 25, 2017 07:31PM
I don't think a boat can be too light. This is a religious issue. Others will argue against.

However honeycomb core isn't much lighter, if at all, because of the extra glass needed. You need a lot more glass for bottom panels. For 1/4" or 3/8" plywood sides you can use just one layer of 4 to 10oz glass. That's a wide range but I've done it all and it all works.

The advantage of honeycomb core is not weight it's about not soaking up moisture if the glass skin is dinged. And dinged it will be. Side panels aren't below the water line much so it's less of a problem with side panels.
Re: boat weights due to material selection
October 26, 2017 01:48AM
What would be your lay up for plascore type sides. This is more out of curiosity. I like the idea of wood sides for aesthetic reasons. I also enjoy working with wood. I was hoping that an ultralight boat could be built using a plascore type material. Do you know of any ultralight type 3 person drift boat/skiff/pram being built?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login