Best new tool
November 01, 2017 06:30PM
Best new tool in a long time.

Got rid of the wood stove in my shop. Scraps get burned in the woodstove in the house, in a 50 gallon burn barrel or they go to the dump. I made my shop about 20% bigger by getting rid of the stove.

This 150,000 BTU propane blaster heats the shop up in a few minutes. Then a hanging natural gas space heater maintains.

Re: Best new tool
November 02, 2017 03:06PM
I have been researching heating options for the barn/shop. Looks like you have got it figured out. Any fumes from the propane space heater?
November 02, 2017 03:36PM
Fumes? Good question. Maybe. I spent 23 years in construction, often working around propane heaters in Winter, during the drywall/paint finish work stages. I'm not dead yet and I'll be 70 next year.

Actually I think propane burns cleanly compared to gas or kerosene, ending up almost entirely as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

I sold my acetylene torches 20 years ago because having them in a dust filled wood shop gave me the heeby jeebies. The wood stove was much the same.

The stove required a lot of kindling making, chopping and patience while the stove heated up. The propane blaster just turns on, at full blast from the getgo. I like it a lot.

November 02, 2017 03:40PM
The hangs-from-the-ceiling natural gas space heater I also have should have been enough but I installed it all myself and I screwed up big time.

I rented a trencher and ran a 3/4" gas line almost 100 feet out to the shop. I should have used a 1" or 1-1/4" gas line. I have a 55,000 btu space heater but it seldom reaches that much power. A bigger space heater would starve with so little gas coming in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login