Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First timer trying to finish a project

Posted by sorensen 
First timer trying to finish a project
February 27, 2018 02:26AM
Hello All.
I am new to boat building and could use some help.
I acquired a project boat in progress. I have no plans.
It is a stitch and glue boat. I was told it is patterned after a Freestone Classic. I will post pics of some areas of concern. I would welcome any input on what to do. Thanks

Randy Sorensen
Re: First timer trying to finish a project
February 27, 2018 04:34AM
I am not able to upload photos. Any suggestions?

Randy Sorensen
February 27, 2018 12:43PM
Photos have to be resized to no bigger than 700 pixels wide or they won't upload.This is a lame side effect of the forum software I use. Most softwares let you upload a big image and then the server side software makes it small for you.

There are a zillion free softwares you can use to resize photos.

Might try to google "windows free photo resize"

I have a free photo resizer on my android phone, that I got from the Google Play Store, searching on "photo resize"

Theoretically I could fix the forum software, or switch to another system, but I have sooo many projects now I can't.

February 27, 2018 04:58PM
You can send me any such images as an email attachment and I'll post them for you. I'd like to see what you have.
February 28, 2018 02:04AM
bad-outwale.jpg
boat2.jpg
boat3.jpg
boat.jpg
front-gunwale.jpg
front-inside.jpg
inside-stem.jpg
outside-front.jpg
seat-cleat.jpg

February 28, 2018 02:46AM
Thanks for posting the pics Sandy.
I would like to encourage anyone who has advice for me to share freely.
Randy

Randy Sorensen
February 28, 2018 03:04AM
This is an odd mixture of good work and bad.
Did the guy who started this boat work from plans or from a kit of pre-cut parts? It doesn't matter. It's almost a boat.

He seems to have done good glass work and some marginal wood work. This is a good boat. It can be fixed.

The scarf joint at mid-boat in the outer gunwale is a mess. Gunwale scarfs should not be in the middle where the boat bends the most, and where the most bending stress is. Still. It can be fixed.

The front downstream end of the boat is a mess too. That's the end most call the bow and some purists call the stern (because of the way the oars get pulled). That's beside the point.

To fix the downstream end you should cut some wood pieces and glue them on so it looks like the gunwale goes all the way to the point, even though it doesn't.

Sand the glue bumps off the area around the bad gunwale scarf. Fill the gap with epoxy putty. Sand the hole gunwale. Wet it with epoxy resin. Stretch on some fiberglass tape.

Do that to both gunwales. Paint it with house paint and a brush.

Go fishing.

February 28, 2018 03:16AM
When I worked construction we used to say the carpenter's mottos was:

"if it don't fit get a bigger hammer"

The boat builder's motto is "if it don't fit slobber on a little more fiberglass"
February 28, 2018 03:23AM
Thanks Sandy

Is it ok to switch fiberglass and epoxy systems?
My boat was constructed with an Aero product.
I have heard many good things about West Systems and I think I would like to use it.

Randy Sorensen
February 28, 2018 12:50PM
Go with West.
February 28, 2018 08:44PM
Sandy,

Thanks for your help.
Question: Do I need to brace the sides of the boat if I take the current seats out? In other words are the seats providing some structural support?

Randy Sorensen
February 28, 2018 11:50PM
Some stitch-and-glue boats will relax a little--IE get narrower--when you take both seats out. You can just take them out to see what happens, before doing any work. If it does relax 1/2" or so it isn't hard to pop it out again. Two C-clamps at both ends connecting winch strap can be used to widen it again. As you tighten up the end to end strap it will bulge out a tad in the middle.
March 07, 2018 07:43PM
Sandy,

Structural question for you.

The guy I got the boat from has done the following epoxy and fiberglass work.

Bottom: 3 glass layers + 6 Epoxy layers
Sides (inside and out): 1 Glass layer + 2 Epoxy layers
Chines (inside and out): 1 Honeycomb Still Tape(?) + 2 layers Epoxy
He used Aero Marine Epoxy

Is this enough?

Randy

Randy Sorensen
March 08, 2018 02:43AM
Yes. If you keep the boat and use it you'll end up putting more glass on the bottom and on the chine. Eventually. It's fine for now. Shine it up and fish it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login