Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

oarlock inserts

Posted by ccarlson 
oarlock inserts
March 07, 2018 03:40PM
Hello.
My old oarlock inserts are shot OD 13/16 and ID 5/8. Looks like there are a couple of options out there. Willies sells a pair of which look like UHMW plastic for $9.00 + $8.00 shipping. Other sights have plain old plastic for $2.00. What do others recommend and where are the best price?

Re: oarlock inserts
March 07, 2018 04:16PM
Which inserts wore out?

I make my own from PVC pipe. Is it 3/4" pipe? I use the stuff with a 9/16" interior diameter hole, which I bore out in the drill press with a 5/8" twist drill.

That pipe has a 7/8" outside diameter, so I bore a 7/8" hole in what ever block i want to use to encase the sleeve. Rough up the outside of pipe with 100 grit paper.

Wipe furniture wax into the inside hole. Glue it in place. They last for years. When they wear out you just replace them.
March 07, 2018 05:34PM
Oarlock bushings. It is on an aluminum boat. Not sure if I want to enlarge the hole. Sounds like just about anything plastic will work?
March 07, 2018 05:56PM
My boat uses bronze bushings with a flange. Pretty sure it is similar to those in the link below but I didn't buy them so I'm not sure where the builder sourced them. There are about a million options available on the mcmaster website.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#bronze-sleeve-bearings/=1bva50g
March 12, 2018 12:57PM
Well McMasters does carry alot of parts. I chose to try the pvc method first. I had some grey uv protected pvc from an electrical project. They work well in the shop. We'll see on the river. Cost? 15 minutes of time and $0.44 in material. Thanks Sandy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login