Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

drift boat trailer dimensions

Posted by ccarlson 
drift boat trailer dimensions
March 19, 2018 12:15AM
Hello. The drift boat I picked up is on an old trailer. The distance from the axle forward to the cross member( bunk) is about 8" longer than from the axle back to the roller on the end of the trailer. When you look at the boat there is a lot of boat hanging off the back of the trailer. Can someone let me know the distances from the center of the axle to the front bunk , rear bunk and rear roller. I would be curious about the distance from the axle to the hitch on the tongue of trailer as well. The tongue on my trailer seems really short. Trailer is from the early 90's. Thanks.
Re: drift boat trailer dimensions
March 19, 2018 01:07PM
Most trailers have a post in front on which the winch is mounted. Is that welded in place or bolted, perhaps with big U-bolts around the hitch stem.

I've moved those posts forward and back a bit, over the years, because of long boats now and short boats earlier. Or versa visa.
March 19, 2018 02:18PM
Hi Sandy. That post is welded in place. I have been thinking about lengthening the back of the trailer because it is so short behind the axles. I was curious what the common space is between bunks and the amount of length behind the axles that controls tongue weight.
March 19, 2018 11:05PM
My trailer is buried in a huge snow bank right now. I'll measure it up at some point.
March 21, 2018 04:14PM
Anyone else that can help me out. Would like to get the trailer welded and finish with paint to get out and fish pike in the next couple of weeks. Thanks
March 23, 2018 02:11AM
Snow's melting fast. I'll measure my trailer up this weekend.
March 23, 2018 12:42PM
Thank you Sandy. The snow is melting here now too. The last Nor'easter missed us.
We had over 3 feet of snow in week from two different storms and then arctic air out of Canada hit us. This next week is going to be in the high 40's.
Thanks again.
March 25, 2018 01:21PM
All set. I just winged it.
March 27, 2018 12:32PM
Shite. I forgot. Been busy. Boat building for a change. And dang. Of all things I have jury duty today. I'll still measure it up, as generic trailer dimensions.

The boat I'm making now will have to be jacked up a few inches, it occurs to me now, so the new boat clears the wheel covers. 69" inches wide with lots of side flare. And my HD with 56" wide bottom barely clears the wheel covers now. I'm going to have to put 4x4s on the crossbars.

April 08, 2018 11:05AM
April 15, 2018 02:52AM
Thanks for the video. I once saw a car pulling a small U-Haul trailer go out of control like the video. The trailer and car both ended up in the ditch and the trailer rolled and opened up like a sardine can.
August 24, 2018 06:59PM
Dennis, who owns that company was very helpful to me in modifying a traditional deep vee trailer I got on the cheap for my drift boat. Sells all the components you'll need to modify as needed.
http://www.driftboattrailers.com/Standard-Trailers.html
August 25, 2018 02:25PM
I'll be finishing up a big white water boat with a 65" inch bottom this winter.

My current trailer has less than 60" inches between the wheel covers. Do I need a new trailer? I think I'll put blocks on the existing frame bed, so the the bottom of the boat sits flush with the tops of the fenders.

I will have to re-weld the rear roller a bit higher. I sold my torches and welding equipment. But it shouldn't cost much. I have a buddy who runs a welding shop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login