Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paint preparation

Posted by Ed Powers 
Paint preparation
April 22, 2018 08:40PM
Repainting boat with a new design. Old paint in excellent condition. A few minor rubs and a few nics in the paint. Posted elsewhere on the forum the recommended technique for a boat with poor paint was to go over with steel wool followed by 150 grit and finally 220 grit sandpaper prior to putting on new coat of paint. Is the same process necessary in this case. Boat was last painted in 2016 I believe and stored under cover.
Re: Paint preparation
April 24, 2018 12:31PM
Usually your biggest concern is adhesion of the new paint to the old. There should be guidelines on your new paint. If I am repainting and the old paint is in good shape, I wash it first to get rid of oils, dirt, etc... I next sand out any scrapes and blend. Then I go over the entire area with a fine grit sanding sponge. This step roughs up the old paint so the new paint can adhere. I then vaccum and wipe with tack cloth and paint. Oh, I prime areas that were bare wood. This has always worked for me.

April 24, 2018 02:35PM
I agree with CCarlson. That process has worked for me.

Rick N
April 27, 2018 04:48PM
So it sounds like detail sanding of entire boat should be done only with the fine grit sanding sponge. Still do the 150 and 220 grit in those areas that need attention such as scratches. Unless of course instructions from paint manufacturer dictate otherwise. I will be ordering Kirby paint soon. Waiting for mother nature to warm things up. Thank you for the help.
April 27, 2018 06:58PM
That is what I would do. I bet that Kirby paints has a contact person that you could talk to before you start the process and ask them for their recommendations. This will give you another layer of instruction that should be very helpful. Post some before and after pics.
April 30, 2018 02:27AM
:=)) Sounds right to me (got back from a week in Utah a few hours ago).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login