Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Caney Queen ready for maiden voyage

Posted by caneyqueen 
Caney Queen ready for maiden voyage
May 25, 2018 05:51PM
After 15 months, lots of epoxy/sanding cyles, periods of enthusiastic building and others of apathy and "project fatigue", many many many hours gathering great advice on this forum and a hip replacement along the way my boat's ready to hit the water. 14.5 ft overall, 54 inches across middle bottom and 74 inches at oarlocks. Marine ply, african mahogany that I hand picked for long straight grain that wouldn't split, tiger maple and a little innovation like storage access under the decks instead of on top and a sliding rowing seat mount on the hoop that allows 9 inches of travel. All started with a well done and well written Freestone skiff plan from Cajune that I sort of "hybridized" with the lines of his recurve models. All that's left is to apply the emblem posted here and christen the "Caney Queen" who will be fished mostly in the Caney Fork river east of Nashville.

Re: Caney Queen ready for maiden voyage
May 25, 2018 09:32PM
Nice work! Endless fiberglass sanding is entirely optional. A bit of a slightly divited surface looks good to me, like a knockdown textured drywall surface.

I'm over it with glassy-smooth automotive surfaces. They don't accomplish anything beyond the way they look.

May 28, 2018 06:08PM
You have built a good looking boat that should serve you well on the Caney Fork River!

R Newman
June 28, 2018 02:49AM
Wow nice job! Looks great!
July 11, 2018 07:09PM
That looks too good to even put in the water.
July 12, 2018 06:26PM
Interesting you say that. I fish, but also build custom furniture as a hobby and I have to admit I'm classifying this as a furniture project more than a fishing project and am gonna cry when it get's the first scratch. But it's gonna happen. I once read a quote from a boatbuilder in "Wooden Boat" magazine saying that building a boat is like making a beautiful piece of furniture and then throwing it in the water. So now I know what he's talking about !
July 23, 2018 02:52PM
Can you tell us how is the hoop for the rowers seat fabricated?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login