Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plascore bottom wood top

Posted by Sandy 
Plascore bottom wood top
June 20, 2018 06:31PM
I started this boat two years ago. I'll be 70 in two months and I do have some health issues. For one I can't see shit anymore and for another my doctor says I Lazy Sumbitch disease.

I'll get it done eventually. The idea was to make a Plascore/fiberglass bottom and chine were the first 6" inches or so of the sides are glass. And then to transition to 3/8" and 1/2" mahogany plywood so the whole top of the boat is wood. This will be a big white water boat. Decked.

Further I will do what it takes to fasten all wood pieces together with Torx screws and butyl roofer's caulk so any and all wooden pieces can be removed and replaced at any time.

I'm far enough along now to see this is going to work. But I have to say........if any part can be replaced hell. I should have made the bottom out of plywood. Marrying a fiberglass bottom to a wooden top is a bit tricky. And what's the point? If it can be easily replaced who cares if it only lasts 5 or 6 years? A plywood bottom will likely last a lot longer than that. Dave Inskeep's 17' foot Tatman is 25 years old. And it's heading down the Grand Canyon right now, as we speak, for the 5th or 6th time. I think I'm over it with fiberglass. Replaceable wood is where it's at.

Traditional framed wooden boats have everything glued together, so replacing the bottom is a huge flap, not easily done without collateral damage.

The future is decked boats. And all wood. Where all parts can be changed out like an erector set.

..the wood here is just a temporary plug. It's not the boat itself. And this only shows the bottom panel. The 6" inch side/chine pieces are made but not fastened on yet.

Re: Plascore bottom wood top
June 26, 2018 04:59PM
If you had done the bottom out of wood would you have still built a bottom and a six inch side? The bottom, chines, and first six inches of the sides all as one complete piece?

Or would you have done it all differently?

I like the idea and like seeing your pictures.
June 28, 2018 03:22PM
I'm in the shop today. No. The bottom chine and six inches up the side is for fiberglass that connects to 3/8" Meranti Hydrotech.

If I had done all wood (that will be the next boat....all wood I have not done since the early 1980s!) then the bottom wood have been 1/2" inch Meranti Hydrotech with 3/8" sides. No ribs per se although interior bulkhead partitions under a deck are much the same thing as ribs.
June 28, 2018 09:34PM
The Whale Rider slowly progresses. 3/4" inch Plascore fiberglass bottom and chine in place, on the form. Next step is to glue those pieces together and then to slobber some fiberglass over top.

Then add the 3/8" Meranti Hydrotech sides. Then ..... figure it out from there. 18' foot gunwale. 65" inch bottom. That is a very wide boat.

June 30, 2018 04:39PM
Here I took the Plascore off the mold and draped extra-thin 0.5mil Visqueen over the mold. Then put the bottom back on but not yet the small chine-side pieces.

Next step is to wet out the appropriate edges, trowel in some epoxy putty and then screw the chine pieces in place. And then walk away for one day.

After that I'll shim out the balance of the form sides with 3/4" inch temporary foam, so the sides are flush. And then apply (screw on) the finish 3/8" Meranti Hydrotech sides and then take it off the mold. I'm skipping a few intermediate steps in that description but that's the main idea.

July 07, 2018 08:17PM
July 7th Whale Rider progress
Got the Plascore bottom and chines glued together as one piece, on the form.

Next step is to round off the chine edges, smooth things up and then add lots of glass on the outside. Then pop the bottom assembly off the form temporarily, so I can glass the inside. And fill the top edge with resin putty so it's hard and not easily collapsed.

Then back onto the form again so the stem, transom and finish 3/8" inch Meranti Hydrotech sides can be added or applied.

After that it's figure the rest out on the fly. No one has ever built a boat this way before. So it's...........whale riding time.

July 09, 2018 08:49PM
65 inch Bottom?

Are you planning to start taking as much beer as Dave?

How long are the oars going to be?
July 09, 2018 10:07PM
I have 10 footers. Smokers. Never yet used. How high and exactly where to put the seats I'll work out on the fly. But there wont be much of a foot well anywhere. Legs will go forward instead of down, as I did on the dayak.

I'll also have a radically, highly domed storage area behind the rower, so it will be easier to roll back over if (when) I flip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login