Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LineX bottom

Posted by Sandy 
LineX bottom
June 22, 2018 06:15PM
Whether to LineX on the bottom of a stitch and glue boat is a frequently asked question. I've never done it.

I recently patched the chine on a pure glass over Plascore hull that was ten years old. The repair was a snap. I just don't see the need for LineX.

Some people say LineX "sticks to the rocks."
Here's what my buddy Michael (aka Snorider) just said:

"I just spent 2 days removing line-x some dude sprayed on the bottom of my "big hole drifter" it patched the hole but that stuff sticks on rocks so bad you'll spill yer beer."

So. There you have it.
Re: LineX bottom
August 10, 2018 03:18PM
I dont know where all these sticky rocks are where you anti-bedliner guys float. ;-)
I understand the ease of repair without it, but I now have 6 seasons on my Durabak covered Skiff bottom and I've only had a couple spots where I've had to touch up the durabak from hard hits, scrapes etc .. and even one accidental slide off the trailer and down a concrete boat ramp and I can tell you 150% that I would be doing many, many more glass only repairs without it.
I recently spent 4 days on the Elk river up in Fernie and every day we were bobsledding my boat down about 50 yards of sharp boulder filled trickling stream just to get on the water. I helped multiple Clacks and Hydes etc get to the water over the 4 days and I can say for sure my boat slid just as easily (or easier) as any gel coated bottom.
I understand they all have places and each owner and water they row is different but when I built mine I was very nervous about using bedliner based on others opinions but decided if Cajune uses it so can I, and I can say that I'm very happy I used a bedliner product.
Re: LineX bottom
August 10, 2018 06:04PM
Cool. I have not used it so I don't really know.

I do want to make a rapid mockup boat someday with Plascore and 3m 5200 adhesive from a caulking gun. And then Linex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login