Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marenti vs okoume vs sapele.

Marenti vs okoume vs sapele.
July 18, 2018 01:24AM
Hey guys my name is mike and hopefully you've been enjoying a great fishing season so far! I've been lurking around here for a couple of months now trying to gather ideas after seeing my first drift boat and falling in love with them. I'd be using this boat primarily in the delaware river fly fishing for small mouth with the occasional trip possibly on the raritan for trout during higher flows. I've been pretty sold on an entirely plascore boat until recently. I just can't get past the way a wood boat looks so I have decided to go with wood sides and a 1 inch plascore bottom. I'm looking for a darker rich finish for the wood and so here comes the question. What would provide the best finish in this manner? I also want lighter accents such as the strip of wood that runs near the bottom and rails on the gunnel. I'm also a first time builder and am very open to suggestions. I appreciate the time guys!
Re: Marenti vs okoume vs sapele.
July 18, 2018 02:49PM
Sepele is the most beautiful the darkest, the stronest and the most expensive. Okoume is the lightest and the weakest. Merante perhaps the best deal. Plascore for bottom only is the best choice for most projects. Keep us posted.

July 18, 2018 02:57PM
I used to get sepele from Harbor Sales in Maryland. For me in Montana shipping from Seattle is not much different than from back East

July 18, 2018 06:39PM
I was thinking Sapele was what I was looking for just wanted to verify before pulling the trigger. Will that finish very nicely with just cloth and resin or should a stain be added first? I was told a non oil based stain will work well with epoxy.
July 18, 2018 10:44PM
Sepele doesn't need stain. It's handsome wood. I worked with alcohol based stains for a while--Watco 5 minute Stain I think. I'm not sure you can still buy that brand. It works but.....it's a lot of extra work. Good wood stands on its own.

July 19, 2018 01:55PM
You apparently have to "register" with this website in order to see what they have. They do have a lot of stuff.

https://www.harborsales.net/tabid/130/Default.aspx?ProductTypeId=132
August 01, 2018 06:19PM
I've never stained wood for boat use, but I've finished a lot of furniture and alcohol-based wood dyes are a great alternative to stain. dyes are color only with no pigment whereas stains have pigment...so with dye you get transparent color that brings out the highlights in any wood with zero distortion of the grain caused by pigments. dyes come in water-based as well, but those tend to raise grain and you've gotta knock that down which compromises the color.
August 01, 2018 11:05PM
Yes I used to buy Watco 5-minute stains, which were alcohol based. You have to be careful not to ding the wood during assembly fitting and handling. And you can't leave any pencil marks. If you proceed cautiously you end up with a beautiful, furniture like appearance.

I'm a lazy prototype maker. I leave pencil marks and fill my dings. And paint. That doesn't mean I don't smile when I see a beautifully bright finished boat. I do. But I don't make'em anymore.

August 02, 2018 03:13AM
Wood dyes are fine products, but I believe most are subject to deterioration by sunlight. So the color would fade relatively quickly.

I follow Sandy's path of making lots of marks on my boat during construction and painting most everything. I leave just enough brightwork to give it the wooden boat look.

A glass epoxy boat needs to be protected from sunlight; good varnish will provide the protection but breaks down in a year or two and needs to be refreshed. Getting a nice smooth finish with varnish is more difficult than with paint, IMHO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login