Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bottom shoe progress

Posted by Sandy 
Bottom shoe progress
August 26, 2018 08:53PM
Glassed up the inside of the bottom shoe today. This bottom panel will get attached to plywood sides and plywood deck at some point. Doing this much glass in one day, working alone, on a boat with an 18' foot gunwale and a 65" inch bottom....is a lot of work for a 70 year old codger like me.

It's all downhill from here. This bottom was supposed to be wide but it's not really. A boat with a 16' foot gunwale and 48" bottom scales up proportionately to an 18' foot gunwale boat with a 54" inch bottom. This boat is 11" inches wider than 54".

But if I had it to do all over again I'd make the bottom 7' feet wide. 72" inches, for an 18' foot gunwale boat. It might take some engineering combined with extra-long oars to get that boat to row properly. But it sure wood be stable. With a bottom that big it would float in about 1/2" inch of water too.

This will be an interesting boat. But next time I'd also make it all plywood, with screw-on removable bottom, so you can change the bottom panel out every 5 to 7 years. When bottom panels are glued to ribs, as they are in traditional framed McKenzie boats, changing out a bottom panel is almost impossible. But it doesn't have to be. Not if it all screws together over semi-adhesive caulk, with Torx screws.

The key to the removable bottom and/or removable deck is laminated chine strips, laminated in place, into notches in a male mold (lined with visqueen) so the chine strip can be a full 2" inches high and a full 1" inch thick, glued and clamped up from 1/4" inch ash strips. Then you've got something substantial to screw to at all the edges.

I've made curved, glued-in-place glue lams in the past using epoxy putty. It's messy. It's a lot easier to use TitebondIII water based glue. It's rated as water proof (rather than just water resistant) and it's just as strong as epoxy. And a lot easier to clean up. Glue lams make for a large amount of squeezeout. With TitebondIII you can do the clean up with a wet sponge.

FWIW: I'll trim that fiberglass with a sharp sheetrock knife in about an hour from now, when it's tack free but still soft and rubbery. Trimming after hardening is a giant pain in the butt.

Re: Bottom shoe progress
August 27, 2018 03:40PM
Sandy, thank you for sharing your build. I admire an "old codger" that takes on a new boat design. I am working refinishing the interior wood on my framed boat. That is one time I don't like frames.

Rick N
August 27, 2018 03:51PM
Keep us posted Rick.
August 28, 2018 05:37AM
I will. did you ever open the email with the fly photo I sent you? Let me know. I think I also figured out another method to post photos from a URL. I wonder if others have the same issue as I. Maybe that is why other folks aren't sharing pictures. There has to several other wooden boat builders that tie flies.

Rick
August 28, 2018 11:32AM
I found all emails from you that had an attachment and them here for now. Some stuff in there Rick.

http://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Drift-boat-info/Vidalia

This forum has an "Attach a file" link above that works, if and only if you knock the size of the image down to something like 500 pixels wide first. I continue to use this old-fashioned forum software because it does a particularly good job of keeping hackers out. But the image upload feature does need to be enhanced. I'll work on it.

This is an old fashioned forum that doesn't know how to take full size images and then resize them after the upload. It's open source. I suppose I could hack it to that. I'll add that to my bucket list.

August 28, 2018 03:54PM
I don't want to keep you from working on your boat. I will try using icloud.com where I have pictures stored. Perhaps it will work.

Rick
August 28, 2018 04:12PM
Or use something simple like a Word processor to import the images, and then resize them smaller, and then save them, perhaps as original.jpg and sm-original.jpg or up-original.jpg

Then the upload will probably work.
August 29, 2018 11:20PM

August 30, 2018 01:59PM
That is looking great, Sandy. I like what you are doing.
August 30, 2018 03:46PM
Hey Thank you.

Here's the bottom shoe and the temporary male mold. Still a bit of glass work on the shoe yet. Then cut a pair of long skinny notches in the mold to bury a 1-1/2" inch by 1/8" aluminum strip in the mold somewhere near the top edge of the fiberglass shoe.

Put the shoe back onto the mold. Shim things out flush. Put the finish Mahogany plywood side panels on, over Marine grade Silicone caulk. With a zillion stainless steel 8/24 bolts going through the aluminum strip (from the inside) through the fiberglass bottom shoe and through the finish plywood. Flat round heads on the outside. Washers and nylock nuts on the inside. Torx screws every where else. Then.......figure it out from there............

September 01, 2018 03:34AM
Hell thats a lot of work for me and I'm only pushing 40! If I decided to do the all plascore thing again I would be looking into a vacuum system or some such thing. I'm really not a fan of fiberglass work its just too time consuming and uninteresting. I'm excited to see what you have cooked up to attach the wooden sides.
September 01, 2018 10:49AM
RE: how to attach wood sides....

1-1/2" by 1/8" inch Aluminum strip on the inside of the Plascore. 3/8" inch plywood sides. Zillion 10/24 stainless bolts. Marine grade silicon goomss. Lots if it. Random Plascore cells (under the aluminum strip) filled with resin so the bolting process does not collapse the core.

If it doesn't work I'll figure out plan B. Interior bulkheads will be caulked and screwed in place too. Then a bolt down over a gasket deck. A composite structure is supposed to emerge. We'll see.

mss Marine Silicone is different than hardware store silicone seal. Substantially better. Cures by alcohol rather than acetic acid. I have a link somewhere to a good discussion of marine caulks. I'll edit that link into this post at some point. Next few daze.

....here it is. I found these useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aQzoHqM80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQG7eUyHxU&t=137s

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login