Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Project Crawfish

Posted by Sandy 
Project Crawfish
February 09, 2015 11:40PM
I killed one fish last year. It's hard for me to resist. I do like the frying pan but I realize it's generally not a good idea. The daily limit in Montana is five fish per person per day. So one fish all year long isn't a bad record.

The one fish I did wack last year was a 17 inch male rainbow, from the Lower Madison in late November. Damn fish at 5 (five!) small crayfish in its stomach. And nothing else. That got me thinking.

I like to keep all my patterns as simple as possible. This is probably my most complex pattern. So maybe it doesn't fit my usual mold that way. But is simpler than some crayfish patterns.

You can't see it in the photo but there is a pair of barbell eyes underneath. Tied on a #6 forward slant jig hook. Yarn body. Grizzly saddle and synthetic strands for both the pincer legs (sort of) and the top-side over-wrap. A gob of water based fabric cement on the over-wrap keeps it sturdy.

The jig hook means you can bounce it on bottom with minimum snagging.

Re: Project Crawfish
February 11, 2015 11:37AM
Might this not be fertile ground for one of your soft plastic bass bait based concoctions?
Re: Project Crawfish
February 11, 2015 05:20PM
Good question Alex. I've never really had a Crayfish pattern before. Well I have but it was just a slightly modified and tan colored Woolly Bugger. I got interested in Crayfish last fall when I wacked a rainbow that had 5 dead crayfish in its stomach. This is the first result.....a more or less conventional approach. If I can figure out how I'll try a soft plastic one too. At some point. One thing at a time.

I'm finishing one boat and starting another, both at the same time. Combined with the usual day to day borderline chaos it's hard to work everything in. :=))

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login