Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which epoxy to buy?

Posted by ccarlson 
Which epoxy to buy?
October 03, 2018 05:56PM
Hello.
I have used West Systems in the past and read that many members here use RAKA. Has anyone used US Composites epoxy? The prices are much better. Thought that I might purchase a small quantity for laminating some stock for oars. Any input?
Re: Which epoxy to buy?
October 03, 2018 06:31PM
I have not used US Composites epoxy. Would love to hear a report from someone who has used it.

I've used RAKA and West System. Both have given me good results but the RAKA I have used is more subject to cold weather crystallization than West. However i do see RAKA now (also) sells what they refer to as a "cold weather epoxy." I have not tried it.

Many have reported good results with System III

FWIW: for resins and hardeners that have crystallized I bought the largest used microwave I could find, at a pawn shop. I heat the crystallized stuff up to pretty hot. 250 degrees F or so. I have a candy-making thermometer I also got at the pawn shop.

It sometimes takes heating the resin up 2 or 3 times to get all the crystals to go away. Manufacturers heat their brand new resin up to that hot to make it thin, so robotic machines can more quickly squirt it into assembly-line bottles. It does not hurt the resin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login