Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rowers Seat Height

Posted by Steelheader 
Rowers Seat Height
April 24, 2019 03:33AM
Is there a standard height for the rowers seat, either from the floor up or in relation to the gunnels?

Initially I made mine too high, just guessed on the height and found when I got in a jam sometimes the oars would hit me in the thighs which made it interesting when you really needed to get a good power stroke.
Re: Rowers Seat Height
April 24, 2019 12:49PM
I should know those numbers but they're not on the tip of my keyboard. Or tongue. I'll get back to this thread.

But it's more about the height differential between oarlocks and knees. If the knees are below the oarlocks just enough to row without worrying about it those two can move up and down some, as a unit.

Height in dories is a very interesting subject. The original Oregon guys made river boats with high sides because they wanted to run big water without swamping. But then they become wind sails. Decked boats don't have to be so high.

I know the Grand Canyon guys like high sided boats but that water is really extreme. My Dayak is only about 12" high and yet I stay dry for most of the way through Desolation Canyon on the Green. I do get wet at the Joe Hutch rapid. And at Wire Fence Three Fords and Coal Creek. I flipped last year at Wire Fence but that was more about inexperience and stupidity than boat design.

I'm thinking I'd like to build with rower's seat on a rail like a rowing scull, on a forward/back adjustable frame that includes seat, oarlock towers and foot pegs. Sitting on top of a decked boat. With a fence in front of the front seat so fishermen can still stand and cast. In between white water.
April 24, 2019 01:51PM
If the oarlocks are on the side of the boat then their position is fixed. It's still best to think about the rower's seat position in relation to the oarlocks, rather than in relation to the floor of the boat.

On a lower-sided decked boat the oarlocks have to go on towers, so they are high enough above the rower's knees, so you can pull for all you're worth in front of a log jamb without worrying about knocking the oars out of your hand when they smack you knee.

Legs out front (like a racing rowing scull) give you more power than feet straight down, which is more like a dining room table. Most decked white water boats put the rower's feet forward, usually with a metal pipe to brace against. While most open-top fishing boats put the rower on seat that's more like the dining room table.
April 24, 2019 04:21PM
That makes perfect sense. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login