Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

full size model

Posted by Erik Myre 
full size model
May 08, 2019 10:05PM
Anyone every built a full size mock up of a boat using XPS foam? (the pink stuff)

My local home dept has 1/2" stuff and I have a design that I've built a few scale models of using the usual poster board etc. But I'd really like to put it full size to get true feel of the layout and hull shape before I dive into the 500+ hours of building the real deal. I think a little epoxy and some tape for the seams (or even 5200) and about $75 in foam and you could have a full size model about as close to the real thing.

Thoughts?
Re: full size model
May 08, 2019 11:06PM
I've built many full size models with cheap AC construction plywood and temporary, adjustable ribs. Scale models are useful but full size is better.

If you could get foam to work that would be very cool.

May 13, 2019 02:53PM
Thanks Sandy. I'm familiar with your adjustable rib method and plywood. I'm thinking that the foam might be cheaper and easier to work with and worth a shot. I'll report my findings if I get to it in the next few months.
May 20, 2019 01:53PM
RE" foam
I ran into Cricket on the San Juan a few days ago, who works for Brad Dimmock. He builds foam core dories. I want to visit his shop some day. In Flagstaff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login