Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Catfish

Posted by Sandy 
Catfish
May 19, 2019 10:31PM
.........in the desert nobody fishes. Not yet anyway. Not out of the boat. But we did catch small catfish at camp almost every night, in the shallow back eddy water we always tried to park in. I want to do a five day Desolation Canyon run someday with someone who likes to fish. So we can trade on and off the oars, slinging big heavy catfish flies with a 9' foot bonefish rod in between rowing.

The bigger catfish are in deep water immediately below a drop, or in medium deep slowly moving but not stagnant runs. And not in shallow tapered water like the 12" tiddlers you can catch in front of the tents each night.

This is a 25" inch channel catfish that took a big streamer fly in Montana two years ago. There is a whole world of flyrod catfish-ing nobody knows about yet. But it's out there. They hit hard and swim like submarines. And they don't give up without a battle.

Wack'em and eat'em is part of the deal too.

Re: Catfish
May 20, 2019 12:00PM
No pictures yet but I just got back from 8 days on the San Juan. What a canyon. No white water really but it's smooth and fast this time of yer. There is one funny little corner called Government Rapid that gets tight at low water. But at 3500cfs it was just a two stroke move to back off a big rock without getting sucked into a boat flipping hole. There were some rafters who went before us who got bounced around pretty hard. But not flipped.

Ran into Walt Carr who rows for Grand Canyon Youth. They had four of five rafts and about 24 teenagers. Walt is a super cool guy but we did our best to stay as far away from them as possible.

Also ran into Cricket who rows the Grand Canyon I think, and who works for Brad Dimmock. Brad is a super cool buy--a white water guide, author and dory builder who sometimes makes boats with foam core instead of Plascore. Everybody likes his boats.

There is a desert white water culture down there where everybody is addicted to the lifestyle, the boats and the rivers. And everybody seems to know everybody else.

Oregon and Montana boaters spend all day pulling on the oars in order to slow things down, so fishermen can fish. In the desert nobody fishes so the normal routine is to follow the current while pushing hard on the oars instead of pulling. It takes much more skill when pushing. You have to read the water two or three moves in advance and choose a route, somewhat like picking a line on the ski hill, as you wobble and jump down through the moguls.

I'm all over open boats. They don't make sense to me anymore. Even fly fishing boats should be (lower) and decked. White water boats should be as they are: decked but still high-sided.

If somebody asked "Why should I build a decked boat?" there are many reasons where and why. But if they asked "When and why and for what conditions should I make an open boat?" ..................I'm stuck on that answer. I'm not sure there is one anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login