Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing A Boat/Plans

Posted by ozarkdrifter 
Re: Choosing A Boat/Plans
August 22, 2019 02:06PM
I haven’t any experience at all with this style boat and am enjoying your progress.
August 23, 2019 09:04PM

August 24, 2019 01:03AM
That has very nice lines. Who showed you how to scarf. Looks like my work, lol.

Awesome rocker reduction along the center

Where do you go from here?

I see you have Ryobi tools. I love mine. Last generation not so hot but these newer ones rock.

I do wonder if it wouldn't be easier to skip the use of transoms
August 24, 2019 02:52PM
If you skip the transom without making longer side panels you end up shortening the boat a bit. The transom is like a longer double-ended boat with the upstream end chopped off. It also provides a convenient place to mount a trolling motor. There are lots of double ended (point at both ends) boats out there.
August 24, 2019 05:10PM
This is a pleasing looking boat. I like it for lines alone.
August 27, 2019 01:38AM
Appreciate the pics and comments. Will finalize model design over the holiday weekend I hope. May continue to play with rocker height, but seems to be coming together. Then things get real!
August 27, 2019 02:16AM
Are you committing it to paper to preserve your work? Pretty sharp lines.
August 27, 2019 01:52PM
I think you have a good boat right now. I've made some duds in my time so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt. You are, after all, designing your own boat. From scratch. If you listen to what everybody else says it isn't your boat anymore.

However.
If it was me I'd stretch the "low rocker" section in the middle out a bit more, towards the ends. And let the rocker rise up quickly either side of the low rocker mid-section.
August 28, 2019 03:43AM
RE: stretch the "low rocker" section in the middle out a bit more, towards the ends. And let the rocker rise up quickly either side of the low rocker mid-section.

If I read this correctly keep it flatter a bit further from the center point either way and let the rocker be focused out towards the ends. This (and potentially lowering the rocker a bit in the front/stem/downstream end) are my goals. My $64 question is - how? I got the flat section I wanted in the middle by using the spreader/formers and maintained a similar width. From what I can tell my options are to continue to push width towards the ends (but bending the 3/8" ply will be a chore (hopefully wetting will solve) or to dish. Other suggestions of how to attain the flatter further? I did consider I may have more width than necessary at the beam, and "verticalizing" the angle a tad (same bottom width less beam) could help. Any thoughts are welcome and needed!
August 28, 2019 11:07AM
Would this work: Level the boat then Lay a 1x4 or 2x4 flat on the ground and trace it onto the side panel? It that might make hardspots that would need to b faired out using a batten.
August 28, 2019 11:35AM
Ah 3/8" ply. You might have to wet it some to bend it more. A 2x4 flat as a way to make pencil marks would mmake it too flat. You don't want dead flat. Might consider dishing it from nothing at the ends to 2.5 inches in the middle. Then wet the bend area. Then add two more spreaders.

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopage=Drift-boat-info/Reducing-Rocker

To wet the plywood I'd hang rags on it, particularly so on the outside, with strings maybe to hold the rags tight to the plywood. Then keep the rags wet for 24 hours. Then do the bending. Dishing it out might (might) make more bending not needed.
August 28, 2019 01:07PM
Nice! Kinda where my head was at. Also had this concept pop in my head this afternoon that in modeling I could lay out bottom spreaders only (no beam spreaders) first, maintaining sufficient width at bottom to keep rocker slow in the middle and rapid at the end, adding more (another 2' out or so towards ends). Then go back and add spreaders at the top/beam to get the rocker and shape "just so" adjusting along the way Might end up in same boat (there's a pun) with the side panel stress or else a really vertically oriented side panel though.

So here's a question. I settled in my head on 3/8" ply and 3/4" plascore for the bottom. Came to that based on what seemed to be the going trend here on the forum the last few years and my ability to smack a nice rock at least once a trip. Thoughts? Not opposed to 1/4" - just kinda settled on the 3/8" and went to it...
August 28, 2019 01:59PM
I fear that you may be getting more complex than you can contain and or duplicate. Furthermore you’re already approaching plywood’s ability in bending. Buy using the 2x4 and trim you’ll also be able to keep it on one 2x2’x16’ sheet. If you’re too aggressive you be over 2’ wide. Not the end of the world but extra work.

You could develop this as scaled and drawn stations every 3-6”. Transpose these stations to you sides in full scale. This is sweet if you remember how to do it.

I heard of wetting ply but I bent the buffalo boat by slowly drawing them together with clothes line and a stick to twist. Worked well. Stop every couple Inches to let the ply relax a little.
Might be a good time to learn how to dampen and bend per Sandy’s method.

Either way, looks like you’re having fun.
September 02, 2019 01:55PM
Sandy about to send an email with pics.

Have a rough model near completion. Like what I see. Pulls from the concepts of wide, flat, and symmetric are good qualities for stability, shallow draft, and keeping the upstream end riding high enough. It's not my own design - just the Beavertail stretched wide with dished side panels and subsequent adjustments to formers/spreaders. 14 feet in length, 54" bottom width, 74" beam. 10" rocker on the upstream end, 7" on the downstream end. Pretty flat in the middle 8 feet. Dish @ 2" center, nothing at stem/stern. These measurements will no doubt change a bit when I repeat for the real thing and work at a slower/more precise pace, but I suspect it will be close to these. Thank you for the help and insight so far. Will brew over this iteration for a bit, then when I get brave enough begin to search out building supply sources!
September 02, 2019 02:06PM
The world is watching.
The rest of us are envious that we're not starting a new boat.
Sounds like a beauty.
September 02, 2019 04:48PM
I got my first boat plans in 1976 from the back of Field and Stream Magazine, from a guy in Fernwood Washington. I sat on those plans for three years and then finally built my first boat in 1979. That boat was so hard to row my buddies called it Sandy's Lead Sled. It's been all downstream since then.
September 02, 2019 07:07PM

I like this boat. This will be a very good all-around boat. A stable fly fishing tool and a white water warrior. You will have to straighten it somehow, before you try to trace out a bottom panel.
September 05, 2019 03:11AM
Thanks!! Now the real work begins....
September 05, 2019 10:57AM
Jealous.
September 06, 2019 10:10PM
Sandy Talk to us here. When you designed some of your boats did you go through the process of Lofting full size and also developing it on paper? Im thinking of doing that. wondering what you think?????
It would also be a shame for Brad to not be able to record his boat.
September 07, 2019 02:58AM
I have always worked with full size models. I played with FreeShip some and found It counter productive. What looked maybe ok on computer too often turned out badly full size. Then I realized if I was going to play with a full size model anyway what was the point of a small one?

That's not to say full size is not perilous. I've made some stupid boats. I don't deny it.

I have thought about loftng. I have a few good designs. Maybe one more. We'll see about that when I row what I'm working on. Will it be ok, a gem or a dud? The proof is not in the talking drawing or designing. It's in the rowing.

In the meantime me not lofting what I have means......my customers have to come to me. Which helps keep my hobby agloat......I mean afloat.
September 07, 2019 02:40PM
Agloat.......I get it, lol.

The only problem with not lofting it onto a drawing (scale) or ply (full size) is that you can't identically repeat another boat once you have one you like. I know you can come close but it won't be Identical. I worry too much, I know, but my Vo-tech training as a draftsman 40+/- years ago taught me to plan on paper and build in real-time. It seems like you DB designers do the opposite and I find that funny.
September 07, 2019 06:50PM
If you cut and layout side panels as I suggest, and make trapezoid-like temporary rib-like formers and attach them to the side panels as I suggest, attach stem and transom and then straighten up the assembly.............it is eminently repeatable. And passive-aggressively copyrighted too. A sheet of lofted dimensions can be passed around, from good'ol boy to good'ol boy. The way I do it requires visiting my website.

Besides. I'm too old and too lazy to figure out the requisite lofting dimensions, which would probably end up as several days work for each design.

I have Roger Fletcher's book. When I think about what it would take to build one of the (lofted) boats in his book I like my method better.
September 08, 2019 12:07AM
Well I agree, that your too old:-) The rest is moot. Your method sure worked for me on the Buffalo. While I can see a little crook in the alignment no one will notice as it is very minor. Had it been built with ribs and extra frames it would've stood an equal chance of have the need for straightening. So far as I know mis-alignment is due to putting one side on at a time........it torques the unit. The only way to avoid it, though it is impossible would be to put both sides on simultaneously, screw for screw and tension for tension, and even then it might not be right.........so your method works just fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login