Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Freestone Skiff

Posted by DonTyson 
Freestone Skiff
July 25, 2019 01:18AM
Is the Freestone Skiff the same as Buffalo. It appears lower sided and appears to have less Rocker. What is the history and whom is the designer?
Re: Freestone Skiff
July 25, 2019 04:01AM
Freestone skiff is similar, but not the same as the Buffalo boat. Plans for the Freestone skiff are available from Cajune Boats. You may also want to take a look at Down Home Boats, they have several models suitable for class I and class II rivers.

Also, look for Drift Boats and River Dories by Roger Fletcher. He has plans for several boats including the Rapid Robert that might work. His book is a wealth of information on western dories and construction of framed boats.
July 25, 2019 02:06PM
Yes I've seen Roger Fletcher and he seems to be an interesting writer with a great deal of experience. Ironically Zelinskis boats are what steered me towards the Buffalo. Buffalo is a bit shorter, and in proportion wider, than the Ludwig and Buffalo appears lower sided than the Ludwig.
Hey Thanks for the info.
July 25, 2019 05:18PM
The Buffalo Boat can be as low-sided as you choose.

I have an old one that migrated back in my possession after a zillion years, with several different owners in between. I plan to cut it down to about 12 or 14" inches high and deck it, so I have a two person boat I can step onto and off of without grunting, that will won't care a bit about big mid-river waves. Because they'll wash right over like flies on a Buffalo's back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login