Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seaworthiness

Posted by DonTyson 
Seaworthiness
August 14, 2019 01:25PM
Seaworthiness, that is a word that the rest of all boat designs refer to but I've not seen it used in reference to Drift Boats. Rapids still have the 1-6 ratings but the CFS measurements seem to give a welcome contrast tool to boaters. If you know that at half the normal CFS in well known run exposes boulders and snags then the Ratings don't mean as much. Am I on the right track here? Thoughts

So with respect to that what are the recommended capabilities of the Buffalo, Honky Dory and Beavertail containing a modestly experienced oarsman and one front passenger?

Will the buffalo handle Class 3 with adequate water flow?
Re: Seaworthiness
August 14, 2019 10:03PM
Class III all day long. However. Rivers are dangerous. Idiots kill themselves in class II all the time. Are they really idiots? Or maybe just didn't have good river skills? If they went without knowing what they were doing they're idiots.

Class III in an open boat is elementary, my dear Watson, if you know how to read water and if you know how to row.

Did I make that clear as mud? Class IV starts to get tricky and the consequences of a mistake escalate dramatically. But many a class IV rapid has been traversed in an open drift boat.

Class IV water can be negotiated in an open boat but it doesn't make sense. At that point the rower should be using a decked boat.

To make the mud even thicker, I no longer believe in open boats at all. I'm now convinced all drift boats should be decked. Why not? If you're rowing mostly class II and class III water you can make your decked boat with lower sides. Now it is easier to step onto and step off of, still has room for fly boxes and sleeping bags under the deck, and you can still crash a few big class IV waves each year.

Nobody has built a long low-sided decked boat like that. Including me. But I would. If I was going to build another boat. Which I probably will but I'm not making any promises. I'm 71 and I have three boats in my driveway already. I might just take it easy from here on out. And spend my time using them instead of making them.

We'll see.
Re: Seaworthiness
August 15, 2019 01:17AM
So will the buffalo handle as much water as beavertail?

Turning 61 soon but I got some left yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login