Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potential Travel plans

Posted by DonTyson 
Potential Travel plans
August 15, 2019 12:24PM
We're planning a trip to SLC next summer via 'The Ark' in Kentucky, on to DesMoines, Badlands SD, Custer Battlefield, then maybe Bozeman area before turning south to SLC.
it would be helpful to have a list of some short floats on local rivers along the way which would be suitable for the Buffalo. We most likely will spend a week in Yellowstone and while there is allot to do there we're wondering if there are nice subtle streams to float within the park?

Can Forum Members help create a list of candidate rivers to float?
Re: Potential Travel plans
August 15, 2019 12:35PM
If you float a boat inside the park you'll end up doing a night or two in jail. If they ever diagnose me with a terminal disease I've thought a quick trip over Yellowstone Falls might be a good idea. I would want an all wood no fiberglass boat for that trip however.

Southwest Montana has a zillion easy places to float. Ideally suited for a Buffalo Boat. You will have rowed the Delaware before you get out West, so by then you'll be ready to rockn'roll.

Near Salt Lake you and do the A, B and C sections of the Green. The A stretch is crowded. To say the least. But the fishing is spectacular. B less crowded. C section empty. There are not a lot of trout in the C section but the few there are tend to be very big browns. Some of them giants. And on the C section you can catch big Channel Catfish on streamers. Especially if you dip you streamer flies in a jar of liquid bacon fat every half dozen casts, or slobber on some anchovy paste. Or Salmon Egg Smelly Jelly. A 30" inch channel cat will break your rod if aren't careful.

The Green above the dam, in Wyoming, has some ezzelent water. Big Horn near Thermopolis. Big Horn Montana is crowded but good. And easy to row. Gallatin, Madison, Yellowstone, Jefferson, Missouri, Big Hole, Beaverhead, Bitterroot, Rock Creek, Flathead River, Big Blackfoot all have good floats. There are a few stretches for a beginner to avoid. But the local advice is good.

The Snake near the Grand Tetons has some lunatic experts only water. And some easy. Filled with nice fat cutties.
August 15, 2019 12:58PM
I’m new to fly fishing. Love it so far. I will only have 6wt equipment. Is that enough?
August 15, 2019 02:39PM
Six weight is all I ever use for trout fishing, except maybe at fall streamer time.

I have 8,9 and 10 weight outfits for salt water.

And a few 4 and 5 weights I seldom use.
August 15, 2019 03:18PM
I should have bought a 2-3 wt for tiny streams and 7-8 for bass and channels. It is what it is.

What weight tippets do you use for big trout?
August 15, 2019 03:32PM
...........by the way you might want to steer clear of the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone. Or maybe drive up to Cooke City from Cody, but never ever unhitch your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBhluhS-TI

I use big tippets. When I was a spring creek guide and everybody else talked about 6x and 7x I never got smaller than 5x. My customers hooked fish and seldom lost them. And I got the good tips.

For big nymphs I use 2x

For streamers 0x. Same as bonefish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login