Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

digi calipers

Posted by Sandy 
digi calipers
August 15, 2019 04:26PM
I'm more of a fast and fuzzy prototype maker, rather than a fine wooden boat builder. Let alone fine woodworker.

When I was a framer we said "If it don't fit get a bigger hammer."

As a boat builder I like to say: "If it don't fit slobber on some more fiberglass." That's just who I am. I care about durability hull shape and handling.

But still. Given all that, these $40 digital calipers are the best thing to happen in my shop in a long time.

The Starret calipers cost almost $120 bucks. These are close enough for me. Yesterday I needed to rip and plane a lot of long thin strips from a 20' foot by 3/4" inch fir board, so I could bend those three strips onto the outside gunwale edge of a boat-shaped form. Figuring and cutting the ezzackly widths I would need used to be pain-in-the-butt trial and error process, which is costly on something as rare as a 20' foot board.

With these calipers i got right the first time. Six strips (three on each side) .29" inches thick equals .88" inches total, which is what I needed. I'll make a photo in a day or two, when it's all glued in place (this is in order to prepare a form the boat is built over, and not the actual boat itself).
Re: digi calipers
August 15, 2019 05:52PM
Do your best and caulk the rest!

If that doesn’t work:

Can’t see it from my house!
August 15, 2019 10:31PM
Make new hollow oars now that you have accurate ways to measure.
August 15, 2019 10:46PM
My next project--if I ever finish the current one--the San Wanderer--will be a low-sided decked Buffalo Boat. I have too many oars already. Albeit solid ones.
August 22, 2019 12:56AM
Could have used the caliper to fiddle with the lame looking gunwale strips that I cut.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login