Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bob's Buffalo boat.

Posted by Bobgraydon 
Re: Bob's Buffalo boat.
September 06, 2019 11:13AM
Thanks for sharing the Plascore info. It may be the best deal out there if youre going to get stuck with freight.
Bob , what is the number on the hardener?
September 06, 2019 01:20PM
raka tropical 260
September 06, 2019 01:31PM
Thanks
September 07, 2019 06:55AM
first layer of fiberglass cured. Will need sanding before 2nd layer. Fiberglass did not completely ad here to the edges. Re-wet and wait 2-3 hrs for tacky- rubbery the stick down w dry wall knife? pipe clams and visqueen covered cauls? hope to get next layer on today
September 07, 2019 11:23AM
Not sure what this means.
September 07, 2019 02:32PM
So you had issues with it sticking around the edges. Plastic sheeting and a 2x4 down the edges would cure that along with a little weight.
September 07, 2019 02:53PM
Sandy
The fiberglass/epoxy overlapping the 3/4 sides of the plascore didn't completely adhere to the sides. I'm asking how to fix this-
1) and rewet the fiberglass- let it get rubbery and try to stick it down again with a drywall knife.
2) re wet then use pipe clamps to clamp a visqueen covered piece of wood along the edges to keep the fiberglass in contact with the edges until it sets.
3) just sand re wet out apply 2nd layer of glass/epoxy and the do 1 or 2 above
September 07, 2019 05:30PM
Make a cell phone photo and send it to sandy dot Pittendrigh at geemail dot com
September 18, 2019 02:38AM
sanded down to 180 grit- smooth
I noticed that the dried fiber glass protrudes 1/16 to 1/8” from the edges-guess I didn’t get as close as I thought w the trauma shears! I don’t think this will be an issue on the chime edges-as those edges will be trimmed down to be parallel to the forms. Do you recommend a block plane for plascore or is there another method?
I was thinking of using a trim router with a bearing and a cutting guide to clean up the gunnel edges.
Your thoughts?
September 18, 2019 12:04PM
September 18, 2019 05:38PM
I mentioned this to Bob already in a email. For the group it's worth mentioning the best way to trim excess fiberglass, where it runs wild past the edge of plywood or Plascore, is to trim it with a fresh sheetrock knife a few hours after layup, then it's tack free but still rubbery and soft.
September 18, 2019 07:18PM
will be mounting hull sides on forms as soon as my helper gets back from her errands! Just trying to wrap my " 3d space relations impaired brain" around this. beveled edges go towards the bow on form #1 and towards the stern on form #3.
September 18, 2019 11:39PM
Sides on- the Three Stooges would be proud. needs some minor tweaks- too hot and sweaty to mess with it now. Plascore does not hold screws well- I'd recommend using Sandy's advice about using 1x1 squares of 1/4 scrap plywood to keep screws from digging through the plascose.. Feel like a full days work- had to rearrange my shop to have working room. one side of my garage it taken up by the work table and the other by the boat!

September 19, 2019 12:33AM
Ah hah. I was going to tell you that about making space but thought you’d figure it out quickly. Looks good so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login