Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whale Rider side panels

Posted by Sandy 
Whale Rider side panels
September 02, 2019 02:14AM
18' foot 3/8" side panels are almost ready to put onto the form, so they bolt onto the fiberglass bottom with stainless bolts on 4" inch centers, with 1-1/2" x 1/8" aluminum strips inside and out to distribute the bolting pressure. With the side panels bolted onto the fiberglass with an extra-thick bead of Dowsil 795 marine caulk. Dowsil sounds like the right stuff for this step because it has a long open time. It grabs pretty hard too. It's almost but not quite like a bonding agent. With Dowsil you can get the pieces apart again if you ever have to.

That's the idea. Will it work? God only knows. We'll see. Perhaps next week sometime. Will I be able to bend that 3/8" side panel plywood without having to wet it first? We'll see.

I think I'll glass over the scarfs on these side panels with 6" tape. Either side. This is a prototype. I don't really care that much how it looks. I just want to get finished and row it at this point. This is a vaguely 17' boat made with 18' foot side panels, that is 66" inches wide. That will be decked. But nothing glues together. It's all bolts and caulk. So if any individual part somehow breaks it can be swapped out with a new one (relatively) quickly.

I do need to shim the sides of form out some, so it becomes flush with sides of the fiberglass bottom, before I try to caulk and bolt on the side panels.
Re: San Wanderer side panels
September 02, 2019 04:46AM
Sandy that is pretty cool. How would the construction costs compare to stitch and glue.
September 02, 2019 12:10PM
I wish I had not made the fiberglass bottom. Joining fiberglass to wood in a removable way is tricky and difficult. And the more I think about it redundant and irrelevant too. If I could quickly swap out the bottom panel (because it was caulked and screwed in place rather than glued) why do I need fiberglass? Why not just use bare plywood and throw it away when it gets too far gone?

Traditional framed boats typically have the ribs or frames glued to the side panels and to the bottom. If you need to replace anything it isn't easy. How do you remove the bottom without destroying the ribs? That's why people fight with "skid shoes." They know they're stuck with the bottom panel for the rest of their lives.

Traditional framed boats typically have a "chine strip" notched into the ribs that is angled top and bottom, that conforms to the shape of the chine, that provides something to nail screw and glue to for joining side panels to bottom. That strip is seldom more than 3/4" thick and often just 5/8" thick because thicker gets too hard to bend. People typically use fir for that chine strip because fir bends easily. Without steaming.

However. If you are building a wooden or largely wooden boat over a plug--over a boat shaped form--then you can notch the form where the chine strip goes. Then line that notch with Visqueen. Now you can build up that chine strip as a glue-lam beam with Titebond III glue and 1/4" inch strips. Now you can make the chine strip out of ash instead of fir and make it a full 1" inch thick and two or two and half inches high. Now you've got something super stout to screw to, for both sides and bottom. And it too could be replaced, if it ever needed to be.

I need a name for this boat. Drifting 8 days on the San Juan this May made me think San Wanderer would be a good name. But I like Whale Rider too. I should have the hull assembled by the end of the month. I need a name.

Neither of those names suggest the erector set like--plug-and-play replaceable parts--screws bolts and caulk no glue theme. That may be asking too much.
September 02, 2019 12:41PM
So if my screws bolts and caulk but no glue idea makes sense in the traditional drift boat context it really makes extra good sense in the decked white water dory context.

Most decked white water dories--dare I say all, that have ever been made--have all parts permanently glued fiberglassed or welded together as a monolithic unit. The bulkheads glue to the hull. The deck glues down onto the bulkheads and into and onto the side panels. When you bash a hole in the hull (you will, we're talking about white water) it's a nightmare to fix. You have to turn yourself into Brer Rabbit and crawl down into that warren of compartments below the deck, and between bulkhead separators. And grind and saw and patch and glass with your head 3" inches away from the work area, so your head is down and your feet sticking out the other way, poking out of the deck.

A white water dory made from plug and play replaceable parts...........wood be good.
September 02, 2019 01:42PM
Concept sounds very interesting. Bet it's a hit. How about "Bionic Whale" for a name!
September 02, 2019 01:58PM
"Replicant"
September 02, 2019 02:02PM
Oh I like that one. I need a replicant wife too.
September 02, 2019 03:04PM
One wife is enough for me as I can't keep up with her. Good thing that she needs me for lifting and cooking. Otherwise I would be out of a job.

Naming a boat is tough. What inspires you at one moment may embarrass you later when you associate it to something else that is less than admirable.

This little buffalo boat is named "Music" but I've not yet had it lettered. While in the building process I played Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young. Their song Souther Cross has the lyrical line "I have my ship and all her flags are flying. She is all that I have left and MUSIC IS HER NAME". perfect!
September 02, 2019 04:48PM
Song by Dave Matthew: SO DAMB LUCKY starts with the phrase “everything’s different, my head In the clouds”
I see two names right there. You see that with me there is no original thought, I’m a copy cat, SO DAMB LUCKY.

Google it on a computer near you.......

Sandy there is one problem you didn’t tell us about. What to do with all this room.

??????

Re: Whale Rider side panels
September 03, 2019 12:42PM
Bet chew can't build just one
September 03, 2019 01:17PM
Ya nailed it!
September 03, 2019 01:18PM
By the way turning the boat stations upside down worked great as a work table.
September 03, 2019 01:29PM
When you build cabinets you get to fill your work with dishes.

With a chair or a table at least you get to sit down.

When you build a boat you get to go boating.
September 03, 2019 03:23PM
The choice is easy....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login