Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beavertail 17 mystery

Posted by DonTyson 
Beavertail 17 mystery
September 09, 2019 02:07AM
I'm confused as to what the 50 degree angle for transom is. how do I use it and benefit from this?

Re: Beavertail 17 mystery
September 09, 2019 02:19AM
The transom on Beavertail and Honky Dory are small diamond shaped affairs. The sides of the boat go from wide to narrow quickly there at the end. That's the angle on the side of the diamond, where the transom sides join the rear end of the side panels. The inside of the transom is wider than it is 3/4" inch further out, on the outside surface of the transom.

I should check that for accuracy but I assume it's right. That PDF diagram was saved from an Autocad dcx file an architect gave me, as a gift.
September 09, 2019 11:48AM
Well that makes sense to me I just wasn't clear what area of construction it was talking about. Sounds accurate just off the cuff. Thanks
September 09, 2019 11:51AM
In a non decked version which 17 footer in your favorite to fish from with three three aboard. I rather like the Beavertail.
September 09, 2019 12:06PM
The Beavertail is a much better fly fishing boat--where one person sits or stands behind the rower. It has a symmetrical bottom, so there is as much buoyancy in the rear as the front. There are a few other boats out there, that meet that description. But not many. Mine, for what little it's worth, was the first--that i know of anyway. Somebody recently built a 17' foot Beavertail. There are some photos here in the forum.
September 09, 2019 12:15PM
Well I certainly have my eye on it. just not sure when I will pull the trigger on another build.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login