Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature

Posted by DonTyson 
Temperature
September 10, 2019 07:31PM
Post your temps and water temps if possible.

Don
Easton, Pa
Re: Temperature
September 11, 2019 03:03AM
56/39 tomorrow, with cold rain. Water temps are falling fast. No blue winged olives yet.
September 11, 2019 03:08AM
Easton PA, 78/64. Delaware River 70+/-.
September 11, 2019 02:43PM
Montana Brown Trout don't start active spawning until October. But they start to move with the first cold weather in September. Which for us is rfn.

Jerry Wells, a fishing friend who used to be head of the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, told me (many years ago) his fish shocking crews had once shocked and tagged a mature male brown trout in Montana's Beartrap Canyon of the Madison one Fall. A year later they shocked and re-tagged the same fish on the Ruby River up near Alder.

That fish had to travel 30 miles downstream from the Beartrap to Three Forks (of the Missouri) and then another 40 miles up the Jefferson and then up the Ruby to get there. Being horny is a powerful force in life.
September 11, 2019 03:14PM
Trout have a wonderful behavior. I'm happy to be in trout country although it is mostly in stocked or stocking-supported streams. It is easy to get involved with trout when one has so many time constraints.

My real love is panfish (Bluegills, Perch and Pickerel) and they are harder to find in worthwhile numbers in areas open to fishing near me . Bluegills/Sunfish
are found in the Delaware but the numbers are very small compared to Channel Cats and Smallies.

I like to eat my Catch and it is important to track which waters have pcb's or mercury issues. Younger bass and cats have less pollution and taste better too. I like trout but trout of any age are high in purrines witch triggers Gout when consumed too regularly. I get Gout attacks yearly it seems. Sucks to age and I 'm not even old.
September 11, 2019 03:16PM
What is Bull Trout?
New to fly fishing I must ask: are you looking for the adult Blue-winged Olive or the nymph?
September 11, 2019 04:27PM
When the BWOlives (various baetis...small mayflies) are hatching, April or October, the fish will hit anything of the right size and color. Wet or dry. The bugs are itty bitty so you do have to like fishing with small flies. The insect numbers are way down. Even ten years ago there were many more bugs than there are today. Nobody can tell us why. But so it is.

Trout are fun to catch but their eating is marginal at best. They are at their best when the water is cold, for instance in November through March/April.

Bull trout look a lot like street fighting brook trout. They are chars rather than trout. They still catch big ones up in Alberta/British Columbia. Brook trout will eat a traditional wet fly. To catch bull trout you need a streamer.
September 11, 2019 05:18PM
Will streamers work for Brookies and Brownies in fall? I know they don't in summer. We have both Native and stocked Brownies here and I've caught many on worms and eggs. This summer I switched to Fly Gear only. Tired of the dirty hands and lingering smells. Now to get through the learning curve. The best part is that when I've learned to Fly fish adequately I'll come away with both skills, spinning and fly.

I've not used dry flies yet. Our two main Fly fishing streams, the Buskill and Martins Creeks are considered primarily nyphing streams. Usually nymphs with a dropper. Being stubborn and purist I refuse to use an indicator but then I've not caught much either. Tips are welcome.

The action of streamers are more like what I've used with spinning outfits.
September 11, 2019 06:54PM
Our (wild rocky mountain) trout will hit streamers at any time of year. Maybe not in the middle of a hot bright sunny day but every day at dawn and at dusk, no matter what. They'll take streamers all day long at any time of year if it's raining or snowing. And often when it's just cloudy.

Those who fish smaller insect-like flies sometimes (usually) catch more fish. But streamers always catch the biggest fish.

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopage=Flies/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Articles/Roadkill-streamer.htm
September 11, 2019 07:23PM
I was told that the Martins Creek which is bright but covered with tall shade trees was a nymphing stream. I guess it could be true but I've not caught any on anything but bait so far. Maybe I'll try a couple streamers. I caught allot of Bluegill on midge nymphs and a Small mouth on a brown wooly bear. But no luck with terrestrials and other. It was explained to me that the hatches don't really happen much and that few trout rise in the warmer water. They eat shrimp and other nymphs most all year.
I never fly fished in real winter so I don't even know if trout are active then. Our real winter is like your Late October.

Thanks for the article. It was a nice read. not really appropriate here though as the red wings have moved on and there are no marsh hawks. Lots of eagles.
RoadKill should work for Small Mouth and Pickerel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login