Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Krypton Ike

Posted by Sandy 
Krypton Ike
October 14, 2019 11:48PM
The white stuff around the eyes is fabric cement. It will cure to clear eventually. It takes a few hours. It does keep the eyes put.

Re: More purist Kryptonite
October 15, 2019 03:47PM
Looks more like a bass lure
October 15, 2019 04:02PM
Indeed............a lure light enough to toss with a fly rod. Although, you can make them heavier. Add weight and it works with spin rod or casting rig.
October 20, 2019 05:03PM

October 20, 2019 06:02PM
Peter, the son of my best fishing buddy Patrick, is a professional scuba diver. He travels all over the world fixing oil rigs, salvaging sunken boats, etc. Two years ago Peter snorkeled the Yellowstone River in August. That's a slow time of year for fishing. The fish tend to be hiding most of the day, because it's too hot at the edges.

Peter told me "all the fish in the river" were at riffle drops, below fast big-wave water where a riffle drops off into a pool. In those places the water is only fast on top. Two three or even four feet below the fast water there is little or no current. Or even a gentle reverse, back upstream current, below the fast stuff. In those spots, Peter told me, where hundreds of trout. Not dozens but hundreds.

I've seen this indirectly. In August fly fishermen still insist on casting nymphs or dry flies at the bank. They end up frustrated. Meanwhile good'old boys in rafts drifting the middle of the river often troll big heavy spoons off the upstream end of the boat. And they catch August fish all day long. The key in hot weather are the big fast waves in the middle of the river. And to somehow, someway get down below the fast current. To where those August trout are.
October 21, 2019 11:40AM
Then I wonder if that isn’t where the walleye are holed up In Summer also? I caught my biggest Chanel Cat in a heavy riffle as well. Got me thinking.
October 21, 2019 12:27PM
I fish two areas. The Delaware river, where I've caught one Smallmouth this summer, and the Martins Creek which is a small Native/stocked stream. On the creek I fish only two areas and with the help of Polaroids I see all the fish of all species excepting those hiding under rocks. In one pool the same three fish have been there all late summer and are on the bottom at the deepest part of the pool in three to four feet of water. They've never even looked at my nymphs or Buggers. They see me and saddle up towards me and watch me as I move. Soon all three park right in front of me and stare. I believe that these are natives and that the stocked trout are long gone. I know that if I had used an egg or a red worm I'd have picked off one or two. But there has been no interest in any type of Fly offering.

My goal for this year has been to learn to catch fish on flys and with that I have totally failed. I sure had fun though. I heard about how careless and hungry browns get in the fall. I haven't seen any evidence of this but it is only Oct. It is my hope that once we get some flow back into the streams the visibility will diminish making it easier for me to fish unseen by the fish. I have learned more about trout, hatches and the environment in the last year than in all the years of worm fishing.

It has been a painful transition for me as I'm used to catching something regularly instead of nothing for months on end.
October 21, 2019 12:34PM
I've seen many recommendations to use split shot or weights to sink presentations. I've tried this and basically loose flys one after the next through snagging the split shots. This also causes the leader to constantly need repairs also.
Is this normal?
October 21, 2019 12:40PM
Build a stiffer leader. Store bought leaders cannot handle weight.
October 21, 2019 01:36PM
Okay. What do you recommend for fish less than one pound, what tippet?. I also started just lightly pinching the split shot to see if the line will slip out sometimes. I’m using non-lead BB.
October 21, 2019 11:45PM
I seldom use less than a 4x tippet and then only for size #14 wet flies. I can't see shit anymore so #18 to #20 midges don't happen anymore. Big nymphs 2x. Streamers 0x.

But that's all tippet. To turn over a weighted fly I build a 9' foot leader starting at 40lb fluorocarbon, tapering down to 0x in 9' feet. I can add a dry fly tippet to that if I want. I nail knot the 40lb to the fly line and coat it with UV glue so it slips through the guides when needed. I might change the rest of the leader many times but that 40lb butt lasts the life of the fly line. I used to wear a fly line out in one season. Now I get three seasons out of'em. Because I don't fish that much anymore. Didn't this summer anyway. I was boat building. And it was cold and rainy until half way through July.
October 22, 2019 12:38PM
The thickest tippet I have is 4x so it looks like I need to buy some heavier stuff. I do have some 6lb mono but I think I'll get some heavier tippet.
I have 35lb fluoro. If I use that on my 6wt fly line how far shall I build that out. Then what, 12lb for two feet, then 6lb for two feet? I'm trying to wing a size 6 wolly bugger or similar with a sizeable split shot in the river or BB shot in still water. When I cast it often collapses right at the end of the cast. If I remove the split shot it lays out pretty nicely. So you're saying heavier is better......right out to the tippet?
October 22, 2019 01:34PM
There are leader recipes on the net. I just build them. I don't know how long each piece is. I just make'em. And I know when it's right. I use a primitive programmer's keyboard editor named VI. To cut and paste a paragraph from there to there involves a half a dozen quick keystrokes. People (students, I did teach programming for 5 years) would look at me and say "how did you do that?"

My answer was "I don't really know. My fingers know how but the language center in my brain center has no idea."
October 22, 2019 04:35PM
So you're using a primitive software program to build tapered leaders, swell!
October 22, 2019 05:40PM
:=)) No no software for leaders. That was just a long-winded story illustrating how I know how to do things but I can't tell you how I did id. Leaders is one example. I make'em but I have no idea what the recipe is. I can tell it's right by looking at it. The software was the same. I use it but I can't tell you how.
October 22, 2019 08:31PM
Just rib'n ya.

now about fish finders........
October 23, 2019 11:32PM

Re: Krypton Ike
October 24, 2019 04:54PM
Pike
October 25, 2019 09:36PM

October 25, 2019 11:05PM
you do like lures.
That is a crappy lure.
October 25, 2019 11:06PM
I mean Crappy (Crah-pee).
October 26, 2019 12:48AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login