Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fish finders

Posted by DonTyson 
Fish finders
October 22, 2019 04:41PM
I plan to do some perch and crappie fishing over the winter. Some of the lakes around here are deep and some only 5-6'. What would be a nice way to use a fish finder on a drift boat. Would it be and install or a hang over the side type use........portable or mounted? Don't really need it for drifting on Delaware but on lakes it would help me find structure and drop-offs.
Re: Fish finders
November 03, 2019 12:15PM
???
November 03, 2019 01:01PM
I have a five year old fish finder still in the vacuum shaped clear plastic container it came in. There aren't enough daze in the week.
November 20, 2019 04:10PM
Where/how would you mount a fish finder on BB. I’m considering mounting it on a clamp-on arm. I’m thinking a pipe over one of the gunnels.
November 20, 2019 04:32PM
Do you have open spaces between blocks on the outwale? You could make a vertical leg that drops down into one of those. And then cut the top level and mount a small plywood platform onto the end grain of that vertical peg. On which you mount the fish finder. Then you could lift it out and put it away as a unit, without needing a screw driver or wench. Or did I mean wranch. I mean wrench. My fingers are unruly.

Wenches wranches and wrenches are useful.
November 20, 2019 05:09PM
I have access to all. While I don’t have the spaces it will be easy to attach a shim for a strong setup. So you agree that permanently mounting the transducer is a bad idea?
Re: Fish finders./_Oct_5_2014/raw1/jpegs/_PIC6611_Flying-pelican.jpg
November 20, 2019 05:51PM
Oh absolutely. You want an easy on easy off arrangement. How ever you do it.

Out here in the West many DIY drift boat builders like to put a standing/bracing knee yoke behind the rower, so a fisherman behind the rower can stand and fish without falling out of the boat if the rower accidentally smacks a rock. Fwiw I made the first such yoke, on a wooden boat, back in 1981. I had the only one in Montana for a while.

I'm getting diverted trying to prove how cool I am. :=))
Here's my point. Many DIY boat builders make those yokes and notch and glue and bolt them permanently onto the boat. Ouch. Those things get in the way big time on white water trips, or on November cast and blast trips when you want room for at least two dead deer in the boat.

I like removable everything. Especially the passengers. If they give me any lip out they go. Just kidding. But I do like to be able to rearrange everything at any time. Permanent accessories are not my way.
November 20, 2019 11:31PM
Okay then. You write like a congressman.
I'm taking your opinion and rowing with it. I plan to have it on an arm right next to me that can hinge up as needed and not be hit by the oars. This should be fun.

I have trouble getting passengers. I am starting to think about paying people to pose with me from time to time and make me look sociable and capable.

Not sure I'll use the fish finder but it'll look real important settin there.
November 21, 2019 12:04AM
;=))
December 04, 2019 02:40PM
I bought a 4lb 12V battery to run the fish finder. I'm wondering where to mount it. I thought maybe on the inside wall of the seat supports. Recently I thought that, since it is only 4lbs. it could be temporarily and simply, clamped to the inside wall just below the gunnels and perhaps right next to the clamped on transducer mount.
What are your thoughts?
December 04, 2019 08:37PM
...........mine (for trolling motor) just sits on the floor. Under that pedestal seat you want to build? Hinged door in the pedestal?
December 04, 2019 11:50PM
That is the eventual location once i’ve Built the pedestal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login