Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Beav........

Posted by DonTyson 
The Beav........
December 18, 2019 04:24PM
Sandy,
Are you asleep or hibernating. Thought so.

Here is a request. Tell us again exactly why you believe that the Beavertail holds a rear fisherman better than most Mckenzie boats.
Re: The Beav........
December 18, 2019 04:49PM
I'm listening......as I've developed theories but with my modifications don't want to find myself in an unrowable bathtub.
December 18, 2019 05:08PM
I Think he is in Texas or in a hillock hibernating. Maybe by the new year.
I'd be interested to know which plywood are you planning on using?
December 18, 2019 07:18PM
3/8" hydrotek for side panels and 3/4" plascore for bottom. 10oz glass for sides and bottom (in variable layers). Should be a tough mother, far more than I need for local waters. Doing it again (which I hope I can do) will probably do a freestone style skiff with 1/4" sides, 3/4" plascore bottom, 3.5 or 6oz glass and see how light I can make it.
December 18, 2019 09:44PM
I would like to build one that tough or tougher someday. There are allot of places I could load and unload for free. Dump it down a bank and later winch retrieving it would be handy. This is so especially at local ponds and lakes where there isn't a ramp.
December 18, 2019 10:18PM
Me highway. Drivna Texas. Just passed a rollover. Answer tonight.
December 18, 2019 10:37PM
Be safe, go quail hunting.
December 18, 2019 10:55PM
Enjoy your fam. Happy Holidays all!
December 19, 2019 01:32PM
It's a long story and me cell phone. Traditional boats were designed for two on front seat one rower. Boats row better that way and that's how they were fished. Fly fishing puts a guy behind. If the boat is narrow back there it don't work. Most boats. Are that way.

I used to be the only boat that trimmed right in fly fishing mode. Because Beavertail bottom is symmetrical.
Probably not the only one now. Most skiffs are symmetrical now. Most dories still shaped like a Chinese soup spoon.
December 19, 2019 11:11PM
Ah, that was the fast answer, no fair. When you get back lets hear more. For instance what led you to conclude the things you listed above and was your first attempt perfect?

Why did you stick with the 48" floor instead of wider?

Did you have contemporaries, colleagues so-to-speak, that helped you finalize the design?

You describe the Beav. as the "best rowing day trip fly fishing guide boat there is". The thing that stood out to me is "day trip". What is the diff btwn day trip and overnight in a boat of this type.

Why is thare never a sole in these boats.......why must I always where boots or have wet feet?

Splain these things please, when you get home.
December 20, 2019 02:18AM
Ok later more wordy. Contemporaries? They always told me what I thought woodnt work. So I stopped listening
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login