Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wooden drift boat restoration (New member)

Posted by Peter 
Re: Wooden drift boat restoration (New member)
February 04, 2020 11:48PM
Might as well flip it out side on the lawn and then roll it in bottoms up. Without a good bottom the rest of the boat is merely ballast, lol.
February 05, 2020 09:13PM
So right!!! Or really good looking yard art!

Our weather in Nashville, 3 months out of the year, is nothing but cold rain and gloom. Checked the weather last night and after Sunday it is supposed to rain the rest of the month...literally. Gotta be doing something! ;-)
February 07, 2020 11:32PM
Ok. The boat moves into my itty bitty space on Sunday. The last day until March it's not supposed to rain...

Sandy, the tung oil recommendation was perfect. Ran some tests and this boat has some beautiful woods/grain that using tung oil really pulls out. A lot of it was hidden by the varnish. Thank you for steering me in that direction! Perfect on both fronts, maintenance and look.

Question: Do you guys thin the oil or go straight with it? I've usually gone with it straight, but was only laying down a couple coats. As I'll be laying down multiple coats for this looking for an opinion. Thoughts??

I included a couple of pics. The first, what most of it looked like before I started. The second where it is now.

Random question for Sandy: Are you in Bozeman? Spent a year of my life there in the early 70s pretending to go to college... Have a good friend who lives there now.

February 08, 2020 12:36PM
Bozeman been home since 1975. After 23 years in the building trades I tried college at 41. Msu. Got CS degree four years later. Wasn't born here but it's home now.

I'm on the road. Driving home from Texas.

I do thin the oil. Don't thin it too much. Or too little. That my recipe. :=))

Japan drier is 97% Naptha. I just use Naptha, which is a lot like hotrod paint thinner.

I do use disposable nitrile or what ever they are gloves. Seldom bother with a mask. I should. I know. But I ain't dead yet.
February 08, 2020 05:21PM
Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate you taking the time while traveling to answer my question!! Safe trip!

I was in Bozeman in 71-72. MSU. Majored in fun... 3 years working in a copper plant in Alabama was the price I paid, but wouldn't trade it. That is an incredible town/area. Been through there several times since. Just gets prettier. You're a lucky man!
February 09, 2020 09:52PM
The 18 oz glass runs to the edge. Even four or six ounce glass won't easily conform to edges unless you mess around with vacuum bagging. Keep it simple and run it to the edges and cut it when it is still green, in other words before it fully hardens.

It is common to fill any holes with epoxy to prevent water intrusion into the plywood. Peter, I am not sure where you live, whether you live in a moderate coastal climate or somewhere the temperature extremes are greater. A popular addition to the bottom of drift boats is a 1/4" "shoe" that can be screwed down after the bottom has been epoxied. Any new screw holes can be sealed with fresh epoxy as you screw in the fasteners. The plywood shoes are removable and easily replaced after they are in need of repair. On Wooden Boat People use the search function to look for posts titled something like "Installing 1/4" plywood shoes". Dave Z who used to be a frequent poster used the technique successfully!

You could also laminate a light layer of fiberglass cloth to the shoe for abrasion resistance.

Happy Boat Building to you,

Rick N
February 10, 2020 04:09PM
Thanks Rick!!! This is much appreciated!!!! I live in Nashville where, until April, it's cold, wet and rain. I did get the boat moved into the garage/shop yesterday. Unfortunately it's not heated. However it does give me the opportunity to pull some of the existing plastic sheathing off the bottom and see what it looks like. Once I do that I'm sure I'll have more questions.

The folks on this forum have been great! The support really helps. The deeper I dive, the more I realize what a novice I am regarding wooden boat restoration. Definitely different than what I've done in the past. But we all have a first time. Having a ton of fun learning!

Thanks again!!!!
February 10, 2020 11:53PM
Rick,
I don't know about you but I feel surrounded by old farts, lol!!! The scary part is they might be taking about 1871 and 72:-)
I guess without the sacrificial shoe a boat is considered barefoot. Do you put this onto boats covered with plascore as well?

Peter,
I am hoping to drift around a bit in the Norris Lake and Holston River area in the next year or two. Got family in Tazwell. It will be fun but I don't know what year it will be yet.This year, again, the Glen-L design folks are having their annual gathering at the old power company on Nickajack Lake right near you. September 17-20. I'm planning on going at this point, you would like it as it is a gathering of boats and amateur boat builders from all over. Many of them retired but not nearly all and it would be a place to chat about issues that you may be facing in your build. Kind of like 40 or 50 Sandy's all at one place.
Anyway, thought I'd mention it. I live near Philly.
February 11, 2020 12:27AM
Thanks Don!! That's sounds like a solid place to pic up some good info!!! Think I'll just put it on my calendar now! The Norris Lake, Holsten area is really nice. Good fisheries as well.

Pulled the cracked plastic bow piece off the bottom. Gonna post some pics, but I think I'm gonna be in a lot better place than I thought...........I think!
February 11, 2020 01:03AM
Ok. Pulled the cracked plastic shoe off the bow portion of the bottom. The piece was cracked all the way across and missing a few screws, some gaps were filled with wood putty. Was not all that sure what I'd find. I'm optimistic but need opinions. I think I'm in better shape than I thought and won't need to replace the bottom.

Poked around with a small ice pick and the wood is solid. There is some checking in the plywood, but minimal. Most of the rough area you can see is dirt or weathering. The open screw holes are from the plastic securing screws. The bottom work is gonna have to wait for better weather, but what the shape the bottom was in was on my mind... The pics show the area I was most concerned about, as it's where most of the integrity was compromised. But who knows what's under the rest. As I said, optimistic at this point.

Just trying to get some thoughts on the shape I'm in...

Thanks for all the ongoing help!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login