Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Style/plans this boat was built from?

Posted by Peter 
Style/plans this boat was built from?
January 27, 2020 07:00PM
New restoration project. The only thing I know about it is that it was built in the 80s by a cabinet maker.

My wife and a couple of friends decided to gift it to me at Christmas. (Yes, pretty incredible wife!) Been wanting to restore a wooden boat as long as can remember. Grew up on my grandfather's wooden boats. This combines my obsession with fly fishing perfectly. Thus my quest! Restoration has begun...

Any info would be appreciated!

Re: Style/plans this boat was built from?
January 28, 2020 12:43AM
I can't tell just from looking. Most framed boats came from Don Hill or Greg Tatman kits or plans, or Ray Heater kits, or maybe from Roger Fletcher's book.

I need to call Ray Heater. He's really retired now. And causing trouble in Bend Oregon, last I heard.
January 28, 2020 01:43AM
Thanks!!! Going to purchase that book. The history of stuff is just a passion I have. That's why I like to reference restore/preserve. We don't know where we've been, we don't know where we're going...;-)
January 28, 2020 12:20PM
Nice looking boat. It does have a steeply-cut stem slant--which looks unfamiliar to me. I'm interested to know the designer too.
January 28, 2020 02:30PM
I'm gonna keep digging here. The stern looks just like the bow. The camera may have exaggerated the angle some, but not much. It's steeper than most I've seen.

Based on having taken apart all the "removables" and stripped them down. This boat was really well built! Craftsmanship is stellar.
January 28, 2020 03:57PM
Pulled a few more rough dimensions a few minutes ago.

Length: 16'.
Beam: 6'
Bottom width: 4'
Height at oar locks: 24"
January 28, 2020 04:24PM
Research some Tatman boats. Looks similar. Is it a true double ender? Pointed on both ends?
January 28, 2020 05:28PM
Will do! Thanks!!
It is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login