Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repair for Floor Separating from Front Air Lock

Posted by Claude_Canberra 
Repair for Floor Separating from Front Air Lock
March 29, 2020 11:03AM
Howdy Folks,

I'm a new member and a 2 week owner of my first 'easy water' plywood drift-boat (refer picture DB-Overview). Unfortunately I was not able to water test the boat prior to the purchase and only found out on the first water trip that the seam between the floor and forward air lock has a crack which opens up about 1-2 mm (sorry I'm Australian) when someone stands on the forward floor (refer pictures DB-Damage-01/02). Whilst the crack is predominantly above the floor line, I don't want any moisture entering an area I cant dry-out/inspect.

I'm just trying to work out the best repair method and have considered the following:

1. just clean and glass the existing seam
2. Addition of an access port that will allow us to work on the inside of the forward airlock and provide us a storage area. Fibreglass internal floor to vertical of air-lock cavity. I think it will also be useful to have some extra storage area in the front.
3. Addition of an access port as per 2 above. Glass an internal (and potentially external brace). (refer to picture DB-Repair-01 for the repair concept)

As I am new to everything wooden boats I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Also the fibreglass repair kits I can source from the local hardware store come with either Low Styrene Emission (LSE) (states water resistant rather than waterproof) Resin And polyester resin. Is there a preferred resin.

I think (hope) the attachment of photos has worked.

Cheers,

Claude
(Canberra Australia)
Claude_Canberra@hotmail.com

Re: Repair for Floor Separating from Front Air Lock
March 29, 2020 04:38PM
I'll have to visit this later. I have a plumbing hassle right now. Perhaps others will chime in.

I don't like air tight compartments. They always cause trouble. After fixing it vent it at the very least. Make an access port even better.

I was on my way to Bateman's Bay almost, and then the virus exploded.
March 29, 2020 07:17PM
G'day Mate.

I agree with Sandy that at the very least a vent should be provided. I also feel that one of the circular access port commonly found on sea kayaks could also be added. I like your idea od the two filets add to the bottom of the divider panel. If you are wanting to fool with this the least I would do all three tasks at the same time. How thick is the floor on your boat and how much does it flex when you put weight on it? The concept of adding filets to the divider might help stiffen the boats' floor and reduce what we Yanks call "oil-canning" or a flexible floor.

Rick N
March 29, 2020 11:52PM
Howdy Rick and Sandy,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I'm also a little concerned about 'hard airlocks' due to the expansion caused by heating and cooling....and potential pressure changes due to altitude (I see the pressure change in my water bottles so it must be apply a little pressure on the boat).

The floor is 9 mm ply (I dont have the boat at my house), and the 'oil canning' is only in the order of 2 mm. Whilst it isnt much my concern is that it has cracked the seal and may let moisture into an area I cant inspect. I will also add some duck boards when its all repaired to help spread the load.

An example of the port we were looking at adding (on the vertical plane of the 'airlock') can be seen in the link. Do you think it needs to be a 'waterproof' (= more expensive) port....I was thinking that it would need to be waterproof if we wanted it to be airtight to provide the same safety factor for the airlock?

Cheers,

Claude

March 30, 2020 02:24AM
How rough is the water you plan on boating? Will the boat be splashed or submerged? It may be difficult to completely seal it. Keep a sponge handy and let the chamber dry out when you can.

Cheers,

Rick N
March 30, 2020 12:04PM
Hi Rick,

We don't have much rough water where we plan to use the boat - Class 1, max Class 2 (probably by accident/surprise rather than by planning).

We've already added a sponge to the 'kit' :)

Cheers,

Claude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login