Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Bamboo Boat

Posted by rdktonkin 
The Bamboo Boat
May 16, 2020 02:55PM
As a bamboo rod maker I should have never made a boat. I got carried away with the project. It's ALL bamboo with the exception of the plascore bottom of course. Even the oars are tapered hex bamboo.

Re: The Bamboo Boat
May 16, 2020 03:27PM
Whoah dew.
That looks like a Jason Cajune boat. Very nice.
May 16, 2020 06:20PM
Modified from his Kingfisher plans I bought back in 2015. The sides were just done by eye from an old paneling pattern I made. The curved transom was a bear. Engineered bamboo is a bitch to steam and bend.
May 17, 2020 04:52PM
How did you make the sides and bottom panels with bamboo? What material did you start with?

I am curious.
May 18, 2020 03:44PM
Plascore bottom. All the other is bamboo plywood and engineered bamboo plank material. You can get 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 ply either "blond" or carbonized. Just layed out the 1/4" sides and glassed both sides of them, stitched to the kevlar and glassed both sides plascore bottom. Had to make the bent forms. the bent pieces are multiple 1/8" steamed and bent layers glassed over the outside surface. Bottom coating is Wetlander. Having never made a boat, and most likely never again, figuring it all out and making the forms etc I must have 700 hours in this thing. Frankly all the fun was done when the boat was done. I'm selling it and moving on. It is however one of a kind. As for the overall shape I bought some old paneling from the used wood place and made a mock up boat of the bottom and sides and came up with the curve. The recurve plans were not available when I bought my plans so it was up to me to figure the curve.
May 18, 2020 08:29PM
Impressive!

RK Newman
May 19, 2020 07:24PM
A few more photos

May 19, 2020 07:32PM
Attaching these photos is like building the boat....time consuming

May 21, 2020 02:16AM
Gorgeous
May 22, 2020 06:03PM
I'm in the build process myself and just applied Wetlander as a bottom coating. Curious as to how you like it? Dangerous question.....not like I can get it off!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login