Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Bamboo Boat

Posted by rdktonkin 
The Bamboo Boat
May 16, 2020 02:55PM
As a bamboo rod maker I should have never made a boat. I got carried away with the project. It's ALL bamboo with the exception of the plascore bottom of course. Even the oars are tapered hex bamboo.

Re: The Bamboo Boat
May 16, 2020 03:27PM
Whoah dew.
That looks like a Jason Cajune boat. Very nice.
May 16, 2020 06:20PM
Modified from his Kingfisher plans I bought back in 2015. The sides were just done by eye from an old paneling pattern I made. The curved transom was a bear. Engineered bamboo is a bitch to steam and bend.
May 17, 2020 04:52PM
How did you make the sides and bottom panels with bamboo? What material did you start with?

I am curious.
May 18, 2020 03:44PM
Plascore bottom. All the other is bamboo plywood and engineered bamboo plank material. You can get 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 ply either "blond" or carbonized. Just layed out the 1/4" sides and glassed both sides of them, stitched to the kevlar and glassed both sides plascore bottom. Had to make the bent forms. the bent pieces are multiple 1/8" steamed and bent layers glassed over the outside surface. Bottom coating is Wetlander. Having never made a boat, and most likely never again, figuring it all out and making the forms etc I must have 700 hours in this thing. Frankly all the fun was done when the boat was done. I'm selling it and moving on. It is however one of a kind. As for the overall shape I bought some old paneling from the used wood place and made a mock up boat of the bottom and sides and came up with the curve. The recurve plans were not available when I bought my plans so it was up to me to figure the curve.
May 18, 2020 08:29PM
Impressive!

RK Newman
May 19, 2020 07:24PM
A few more photos

May 19, 2020 07:32PM
Attaching these photos is like building the boat....time consuming

May 21, 2020 02:16AM
Gorgeous
May 22, 2020 06:03PM
I'm in the build process myself and just applied Wetlander as a bottom coating. Curious as to how you like it? Dangerous question.....not like I can get it off!!
June 04, 2020 02:28PM
Well you could actually just sand it off. As for how I like it....it is SUPER slick and lightweight. Durability would of course depend on use and abuse. It will be very easy to coat over again. Like all things wood boat...it needs to be maintained. They are not kidding about being careful when launching or banking your boat. Keep a hold of it or it will slide away from you!
June 04, 2020 05:27PM
Sounds great, it seemed pretty slick when I applied it. Right now the boat is righted and is on a carpeted large pallet on wheels to move around the shop. We have to be careful we don't shove the boat off the pallet while we're working on it! I'd read about reapplication of the topcoat, so will be something I'll do again at some point hopefully long down the road. I went with it because our Ozark streams are low and gravelly in the summer, so sliding a boat down a bony section is a must. Beautiful boat boat you made, I could only dream of that kind of craftsmanship!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login