Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peter-Restoration update

Posted by Peter 
Peter-Restoration update
May 19, 2020 10:39PM
Hello folks! Haven't posted since March, but wanted to check in since most of my rookie knowledge started here! Again, many thanks!

3 months in, the interior is about 70% complete. I took Sandy's advice and went the tung oil route instead of varnish. Great call! I have about 5-6 coats on most of the wood. Don was right because it had about 9-10 coats of applied varnish, the wood took it differently based on how deep it penetrated. Now just letting the wood dictate the additional coats.

I know I kinda went at this backwards, doing the interior before the bottom, but it may have been a blessing in the long run. I know this boat and its issues fairly intimately now. I've also learned a ton along the way. And I've also made some mistakes along the way, but feel much more prepared to tackle the bottom. After long consideration, I've decided to replace the entire bottom as opposed to a splice fix. For my taste, too many issues to not go all in.

Been doing a ton of research, but still, and I hate to admit it, nervous. Including Roger Fletcher's book. But in for a penny, in for a pound. Fitted the boat carriage its sitting on with industrial casters, so I will now be able to roll it in and out of the shop for more room to work. (Learned: Do this BEFORE the boat is on it!)

I'll still have questions but, thanks for getting me this far folks! I do appreciate it.

Pictures below of my progress.

Re: Peter-Restoration update
May 19, 2020 11:53PM
:=)) soon she fish
May 20, 2020 12:34AM
Thanks Sandy! I think the most rewarding part of this may be pulling in that first fish in a boat I restored.

My grandfather would be proud. Still having a blast doing it. Again, thank you so much for your encouragement and help. You make a difference to us novices just starting out.
May 21, 2020 02:09AM
Peter, Sandy has a bunch of us that appreciate his encouragement. Nice Job so far. You're gonna love it. I've been nailing the panfish and Pickerel lately and the dog and I have had a blast.

May 21, 2020 04:44PM
Thanks Don! You're exactly right!

Nice fish! Used to catch pickerel and pike when I lived up in the northeast.

Thanks again! Tight lines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login